CRAIGSLIST: Dumb stuff callers say when answering your listing

I gave up long ago posting on craigslist, after getting nothing but silence, 'buy this/signup for a fee' (when I'm selling something), or--my favorite--'Will you work for free?'

Last edited:
Your an hour away- can you meet me half way?
Can you keep the chicks until they are ready to go outside? (this would mean I would hold onto them for 5-6 weeks for them!)
Would you take a check? (on 3 chicks) or once, Can I give you the $4 I have and write the $8 in a check?
Would you take a rabbit in trade?
Would you sell that (portible) coop?
Are the mini horses for sale?
You don't have any Llama's for sale, do you?

:)

When I want to be a glutton for punishment, I post an ad on Craigslist:

Item for FREE.
Fellow e-mails me from 3 hours away asking if I can meet him at his local Wal-Mart for pick up.

Item for $15, listed as never used, dusty from sitting on a shelf, still has original tag. Woman e-mailed me asking for my address for her GPS. I give it to her. She tells me she will be at our house around 5pm. 5:30 pm hits, and she calls to tell us that while she got off the right exit (3 miles, two turns from our farm,) her "GPS isn't working" so she won't be able to find our farm and will try again some other time. When I asked her if she would like directions, she got confused and said she only relied on her GPS. I ended up convincing her to accept my directions only to find out she was about 200 yards from our driveway on our road. She came in, looked over the item, and pays me. I run to my car to get change from my purse, and when I come upon her, she is talking on her cell phone telling whomever that she has "no idea where she is" and that it is "somewhere between redneckville and Hillbillytown." Those of you that have been to our farm will find that comment humorous.

Two GOOD stories:

I adopted a dog from Craigslist six years ago. She was being listed as an import German Shepherd, and their current dog wasn't getting along with her. The German Shepherd was four years old. Being German Shepherd people, I stepped in. The owner brought out a morbidly obese German Shepherd and all of her paperwork. The owner said, "she's pretty obedient, but she's not as flashy anymore with her commands." It took me two hours (on my 4 hours drive home) to stop and try something out. I leashed her, took her out of my car and said, "PLATZ!" and the dog slammer herself into a down position. I told her "SITZ!" and she leapt up into a sit. Yep - the dog "wasn't flashy" because she was trained in German, not English, and was merely trying to do her best to appease these English-speaking humans. She ended up being ten, not four, and she was definitely an import: and a very well-known, multi-titled working dog. I kept in touch with her breeder in Belgium all the way to my new (very much flashy's!) dog's death.

Another woman had a male guinea pig she was finding a home for. She said she wasn't able to spend much time with him, he was three, etc. She jokingly said, "heck I'd pay someone $1000 to give him a good home." I met the owner, met the piggie, and she loaded up my truck full of supplies and goodies for him. As I was leaving, she handed me a wad of cash for his neutering and "anything else." I tried to give it back to her, but she insisted and said if I did not take it, I could not take Jesse James. It wasn't until I stopped in at the gas station that I realized she had handed me $1000 cash. She wasn't kidding. $200 went for his neuter (yes, they neuter guinea pigs!) and some more cubes for his C+C palace, but the rest I donated to a small animal rescue group.

they did FINALLY come and ride her (didn't bring a trailer) but have not heard anything more and at this point are not sure we want her to go to anyone who cannot figure out such simple things as a classified ad.

That's how it is. I sold a very nice horse many years ago on Craigslist. The guy was looking for a "colorful beginner horse for himself" as he was "not a very good rider." They assured me they were bringing trailer in tow and could not wait. The horse was, at that time, very reasonably priced at $1,000.

Two hours late, a minivan shows up, and out they come. The guy introduces himself, makes no mention of why they didn't bring a trailer, etc. He hopped on my horse and did a little walk-trot around and was sold. He asked how much he was, and I said, "$1000." He said he didn't bring any money, but would I hold him for him until they got transport (a week later.) I told him I would with a signed purchase agreement and a non-refundable deposit. The guy gave me $100 and signed the agreement with a specific date for pick up that was flexible 24 hours either way. After that, the $100 would be kept, and the horse would be offered back for sale, but during the "hold" period, he would be off the market from any interested persons coming out to ride him, etc.

The date came that they were supposed to pick the horse up..................and the date left. Four days later (after I e-mailed and called him several times) he tells me they decided to get "a nice 2 year old that's roping" for him. Quite a difference from a 10 year old beginner horse! Then............he had the audacity to ask for his $100 back since he wasn't buying my horse. I reminded him of the agreement and wished him luck with his new horse.

Six months later, I get another e-mail from him asking for his $100 but did I still hold that horse for him? *sigh*

I had a add up for bantam Leghorns and Sebrights. I got a call from a older man,
*Translated from spanish*
hello, are the pretty colored ones fighters/
No, they are for showing purposes.
Well, i want to fight them, can you give me a discount because the things arent cut off?
No and No. I will not sell to you. Bye.

I hate it when the people are ready to come pick the thing and then it ends up they didn't check to see how far away you are from them; " Oh wait, you live, like, 70 miles away. Never mind."

I had one guy who wanted to buy a Blue Heeler I was re-homing.
When answering questions, I like to go by how well the E-mail is written. No joke, the better grammar/punctuation they have, the nicer they are. This guy was all text talk, which really gets on my nerves and when he told me he wanted to "surprise his girlfriend", I knew it wouldn't work. So I told that a Blue Heeler was an extremely smart, energetic dog and would tear his place to shreds if not given the proper mental and physical exercise every day. He freaked "Oh, uh, my girlfriend would kill me if she tore up the couch. sorry" I really wish people would research!

Last edited:
I advertise my rental properties on Craigslist. I get the run of the mill idiots who call and ask, "Uh, how many bedroom does it have?" despite the post headline clearly stating the bedroom count. My all time favorite though is, "Do you provide furniture?"

Does this look like the Mariott friends? Clearly you have found CL. They have a furniture section. "But I don't have a truck, how will I move it?"

Facepalm! "Come to think of it, the place is already rented. Best of luck finding a place."

I've gotten the "oh you're selling chickens? I'll take all your roosters" hmmmm....wonder what your intentions are
roll.png
maybe they want to eat them but cock fighting is WAY to common in my area to even take a chance.

Back
Top Bottom