CRAIGSLIST: Dumb stuff callers say when answering your listing

Phage

Mad Scientist
13 Years
Aug 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
Craigslist should have a mental health warning on it......

You know when you carefully write a clear add with descriptions, prices and pictures for all to see, and then people call and either have not read the add or more often try it on.
barnie.gif
he.gif
??

Please vent on here. It may help with the frustration and annoyance (and entertain the rest of us) . You can also
smack.gif
your caller without going to jail
big_smile.png

Some recent good ones:

"How do you know if your chickens are healthy if they have not been to the vet????? "
smack.gif

In answer to an add for cream legbars: "So the hens are not $10?"
smack.gif

In answer to an add for day old chicks: "do you have any roosters, I am looking for big roosters, you know what I mean, big strong roosters"
smack.gif

"I live 20 miles from you so could you do it for half price?"
smack.gif

When I want to be a glutton for punishment, I post an ad on Craigslist:

Item for FREE.
Fellow e-mails me from 3 hours away asking if I can meet him at his local Wal-Mart for pick up.

Item for $15, listed as never used, dusty from sitting on a shelf, still has original tag. Woman e-mailed me asking for my address for her GPS. I give it to her. She tells me she will be at our house around 5pm. 5:30 pm hits, and she calls to tell us that while she got off the right exit (3 miles, two turns from our farm,) her "GPS isn't working" so she won't be able to find our farm and will try again some other time. When I asked her if she would like directions, she got confused and said she only relied on her GPS. I ended up convincing her to accept my directions only to find out she was about 200 yards from our driveway on our road. She came in, looked over the item, and pays me. I run to my car to get change from my purse, and when I come upon her, she is talking on her cell phone telling whomever that she has "no idea where she is" and that it is "somewhere between redneckville and Hillbillytown." Those of you that have been to our farm will find that comment humorous.

Two GOOD stories:

I adopted a dog from Craigslist six years ago. She was being listed as an import German Shepherd, and their current dog wasn't getting along with her. The German Shepherd was four years old. Being German Shepherd people, I stepped in. The owner brought out a morbidly obese German Shepherd and all of her paperwork. The owner said, "she's pretty obedient, but she's not as flashy anymore with her commands." It took me two hours (on my 4 hours drive home) to stop and try something out. I leashed her, took her out of my car and said, "PLATZ!" and the dog slammer herself into a down position. I told her "SITZ!" and she leapt up into a sit. Yep - the dog "wasn't flashy" because she was trained in German, not English, and was merely trying to do her best to appease these English-speaking humans. She ended up being ten, not four, and she was definitely an import: and a very well-known, multi-titled working dog. I kept in touch with her breeder in Belgium all the way to my new (very much flashy's!) dog's death.

Another woman had a male guinea pig she was finding a home for. She said she wasn't able to spend much time with him, he was three, etc. She jokingly said, "heck I'd pay someone $1000 to give him a good home." I met the owner, met the piggie, and she loaded up my truck full of supplies and goodies for him. As I was leaving, she handed me a wad of cash for his neutering and "anything else." I tried to give it back to her, but she insisted and said if I did not take it, I could not take Jesse James. It wasn't until I stopped in at the gas station that I realized she had handed me $1000 cash. She wasn't kidding. $200 went for his neuter (yes, they neuter guinea pigs!) and some more cubes for his C+C palace, but the rest I donated to a small animal rescue group.

I sell silkie chicks on Craig's list. I'd have to say its about 75% that it will lead to a sale.

Seller Beware!!! I get a lot of people that will call and just ask for my address or text and ask for my address. I do not give it out until i have spoken to the person and fell like they are on there way. Those who ask right away and don't ask questions about the kind of birds we have for sale - well most of the time i say something like. "Thanks for calling" and get off the phone as quick as i can. (my spidy sensors ring alarm bells)

Honestly 99.9% of the time callers will ask for adult birds to guarantee the sex of the silkie. Every one wants adult, already laying hens. So silly who doesn't want someone else to do most of the work for them. But there is people in town that raise laying hens and thats a market i let them have, way to much work.

OMG Yes! I've heard the "I live X miles away, can I get a discount?" or "Will you deliver? I'm 100 miles away".

Add for Marans - call about Orpingtons. Sorry, only what's listed is for sale. If I had more, I'd say so.

I started caging the birds on the front porch, people kept trying to buy stuff I wanted to keep. So, someone asked about the wicker set on the front porch. No, sorry, I'm just selling these chickens.

Another time this guy came to get 3 turkeys. He sat on the front porch and did bible readings for an hour and preached his own tune and explained his own take on it all. He was weird but congrats to the Turkeys for landing a no-kill home. Though the trip home was likely traumatizing because it was on a large flat bed diesel truck in a dog crate. I wonder what the neighbors thought?

"If you still have them in a week can I have them for free?" No. Clearly you don't understand the thriving poultry market in this area.

"I saw your add, can I come get them in 2 weeks when I get paid?" Yeah, I'll totally hold them without payment for 2 weeks while ignoring the other 25 calls. Though I did actually hold birds with payment and delivered them way off into Kentucky, because I was impressed with how trusting the lady was. Since she trusted me so much, I wasn't going to let her down. Usually people are incredibly suspicious.

Seriously though, when I write an add that states "Six laying hens, all 1 year old, these listed breeds, healthy and still in active lay" why do I get calls asking how old they are and if they're laying eggs?

On the flip side I wonder how well the 4 word adds work. Title says "Laying hens", add reads "Laying hens for sale". Nothing else.

People can be so weird. I have this question I say to myself a lot... "I wonder if he knows how creepy he's being?". Though women can be creepy too. This one lady was totally trying to pick my husband up right in front of me. She was commenting on all the things he had built around the house. Started commenting on how strong he must be. Started in on her terrible dating decisions and how she should have found one like him. (insert her batty eye lashes and my own eye roll). Terrible, just terrible. Though the bible reading guy who had come to get the turkeys sure was asking a lot about me, and my husband of course had his two cents to throw in after he had left. I think he teased me for 3 days after that one.

Grin and bear it. Take the money and send them on their way. Tell yourself the next people will be normal. I'd say only about 25% of CL responders are... interesting... people.

It's ok to have fun with it. Once a caller asked if I had any goats for sale. I only had a chicken add out. So I said "No, do you have any Emu for sale?" He didn't.

I was actually a "goat agent" for a year for someone who didn't have internet. Some of the responses and questions were quite amusing/annoying and I was always surprised at how many people "window shopped" for animals.

Examples:

3 yr old Saanen Doe, currently bred to registered Toggenburg buck. Offspring elig. for experimental registration. Downsizing herd. $125
Customer: I have 3 Nigerian billys. Will you take them in trade?
What I was thinking: If we're downsizing, why would I take THREE goats in trade?

Customer: Is the dough bred?
What I was thinking: Is it spell-checker or is this person trying to get a hold of the Sara Lee retail store?

And as often as I told people, DO NOT USE GPS! my road does not exist on any maps, please follow the directions that I give you, I would invariably get a call from the canoe livery from someone saying, "We can't find your road. We put it into the GPS and we can't find the road we're supposed to turn on."

Hahaha the half price comment is pretty funny!

I sold my Nintendo DS to a family last week via Craigslist and they paid me $70 in 5s, 1s, and quarters. Lots of quarters.

That's not so bad, they were probly trying to buy their child a gift, and literly had to count change to do it,, Been there, done that

they probley ment to cash it in, but had to work late or something and didn't have the chance. It's all money in the end

That's not so bad, they were probly trying to buy their child a gift, and literly had to count change to do it,, Been there, done that

they probley ment to cash it in, but had to work late or something and didn't have the chance. It's all money in the end
I think you are totally right. I just wasn't expecting so much small change!

Back
Top Bottom