craziest chicken myths...

"Eggs from the store are pasteurized" Really? I didn't know the eggs at the store were hardboiled
lau.gif

heard one for ducks this weekend... only their undersides are waterproof, and if their backs get wet, they die... not really sure where these come from...

when i said i got chickens the only thing people ever asked was: "don't you need a rooster for them to lay eggs?"
i just thought about commercial egg laying operations and imagined roosters in cages dangling above for hens to see...yep there's a rooster, let's lay!
That and for some reason people think our chickens will lay eggs with chickens inside (with no roosters) think people! sigh!

I love the image of the roosters dangling , also !!

Ive had a few people insist that if one holds a chicken, they ( the people ), will get Chicken Pox. !:D

I remember learning in school that the color of egg matched the color of feathers. White eggs from white feathered hens, brown eggs from brown feathered hens.

Too bad this isn't true or we would have some pretty awesome eggs...barred anyone?

Not sure if this is true, but someone at work told me that if I fed my chickens salt rock, then they wouldn't peck at each other.. huh? anyone heard this before?

I was told the turkey one the other day as well - from my daughter.

I have two ducks, a male and female. I've been asked all kinds of strange questions, such as "Do they lay eggs," "Can you eat the eggs," and most recently a new one: "Do they have sex?"
Uhh... yes, they do. Do I really need to be explaining this?

Last edited:
I had a new costumer buy a dozen eggs from me the other day, I opened the egg carton and the wife said “oh my blue eggs! I didn't know robbins laid such big eggs!” :lau and the husband who saw my ball python took one look at the green eggs and said “I don't want any of those snake eggs!”

:lau :gig

i've heard and old wives tale
old.gif
that if you flip a chick over in the palm of your hand belly up and if it doesn't struggle, then your chick is a pullet. If the chick does struggle, it's a cockerel. We did that with ours and the woman was said, "I don't know if this works, but if you get all roosters call me and i'll striaghten 'em out for ya'!" We have three cockerals
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom