craziest chicken myths...

Actually, there are pasteurized eggs. Its not universally done, but the ones that are pasteurized are stamped with a P in a circle. After being pasteurized and stamped, the eggs are often wax coated to protect the egg from contamination.

Also chickens can carry mites and lice if not cared for properly. So, while its not common, you can get lice from chickens.

Riki

Last edited:
Oh geeze how could I forget.
My little brother went to collage to learn how to be a chef. And when he came back, and I mentioned that I wanted to get chickens, he flipped out and said that all adult chickens can give you Salmonella. Apparently hes teacher's told him that even live full grow birds can give it to you, and that if you touch them (dead or alive) you have to wash really fast of you will get it.
It took me three weeks to convince him otherwise.

Also chickens can carry mites and lice if not cared for properly. So, while its not common, you can get lice from chickens.

Riki

I was always told that chicken lice are a different type. It made sence to me seeing that chickens' body temp is so much higher than ours we would not be a good host for that type.

People can not to my knowledge get chicken lice? they are indeed chicken lice not the same as lice people get, other than the temp is so different, chicken lice are feather lice, unless people start growing feathers, you really need not worry, they may get on you but they will die in a short time or leave your cold unfeathered butt......... hehehehehe

Thats what I thought
thumbsup.gif

That every time your rabbit, horse, cow, dog, cat, sheep, pig, goat, or grandma gets sick or dies, they got it from the chickens! Everyone is convinced that all chickens are disease ridden and will kill everything else.

It makes me a little urked to hear this said about such a wonderful, beautiful, and healthy species of bird!

It also is rather insulting to hear people talking about my own chickens within ear shot and saying "Don't pet those, you'll get sick!" Ugh.

That every time your rabbit, horse, cow, dog, cat, sheep, pig, goat, or grandma gets sick or dies, they got it from the chickens! Everyone is convinced that all chickens are disease ridden and will kill everything else.

It makes me a little urked to hear this said about such a wonderful, beautiful, and healthy species of bird!

It also is rather insulting to hear people talking about my own chickens within ear shot and saying "Don't pet those, you'll get sick!" Ugh.

I can guarantee them, that you will not get sick just from petting chicken. I touch my chicken/chicks EVERY day. I have not gotten sick in over a year. If that was the case, I would be sick every second of every day. And the cats too. Atleast us chicken people know the truth. :D

I can guarantee them, that you will not get sick just from petting chicken. I touch my chicken/chicks EVERY day. I have not gotten sick in over a year. If that was the case, I would be sick every second of every day. And the cats too. Atleast us chicken people know the truth. :D

Got that right! We shall always know the truth.

Heck! I've even shared food with my chooks striaght off my plate.

my favorite is how can you tell if the egg is for eating or if there is a chick inside.
lau.gif
My daughter asked me that when she was 10 and I told her and then she said, "eww.. why did you tell me that!!! " then I informed her that it was a fact of life and I wasn't going to lie about it.
ep.gif

I had that problem- I had someone tell me that you can't get rid of lice if you are around chickens. The vet then assured me that the lice is specific to the animals- goats can't get chicken lice, chickens can't get goat lice, and humans can't get either.

Back
Top Bottom