CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

I hope someone can answer this question.

I have a sick bird, was just about to give her Duramycin-10, and was reading the back of the package.

And I quote, "Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption" period.

Um, do I just cull this chicken? My flock is utilitarian, rather than pets. I'd like to eventually get eggs from this bird again, but if I can't use them, what are my options?

Marty

I found on the search that you can eat the eggs 21 days after last dose of duramycin and that was from the manufacturer according to the person who posted it.

I emailed the maker of Duramycin, Durvet, and asked if the eggs could be used again after treatment this is the response I received.

Throw the eggs away for three weeks after you get done treating your birds.

After this, you can then eat the eggs.

Thanks.

Mike Gallagher | Sales Coordinator & Technical Services

Durvet, Inc. | P.O. Box 279 | 100 S.E. Magellan Drive | Blue Springs, MO 64014

Tel 816.229.9101 | Fax 816.224.3080 | [email protected] | www.durvet.com

I always suggest quarantine and only giving the antibiotics to the effected birds. People have thrown out "better safe then sorry" but that mentality can quickly build a bird's resistance to the antibiotic making it more difficult to cure something later on if they need it. I usually give any animal that has had antibiotics probiotics after the treatment. I personally don't believe in prophylactic antibiotics for anything since they can effect you negatively. This is the way I do it with a good success rate, I have about 50 chickens. Great post btw, thanks for all the info everyone.

A few months ago, I called the number on a bag of Duramycin-10 to ask for the dosage. The first question I was asked was what size bag did I have. It was a 6.4 oz. bag. They told me to mix 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water if my chickens were sick. They also told me to make a fresh mixture every day and to add a pinch of cherry jello to the water. Must not taste great.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread!! I was fretting about giving my chicks the meds they needed in the right dosage, and here you all are with just the info I need!!
smile.png

Somewhere on the Consolidated Kansas thread I posted links about studies in Great Britain that conclude that Tiamulin (Denagard) can be used early on in MG/CRD infections and PREVENT chronic carrying of the disease. I have to run right this second, but if you search for my posts, you may find that info, for any who might be interested. I haven't had to try it, but I'm paranoid and like to be prepared for anything and everything.

Denagard can be purchased at qcsupply.com

If the medication never leaves their system, Or you can never eat the eggs the hen lays again....What is the point of treating the hens in the first place???? Sorry if that sounds cruel. Can I at least butcher the birds if I can never consume their eggs again?

Back
Top Bottom