CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

Quote:
Lordy, I'm so sorry. When did it start? What are you planning with your flock? Eggs for eating? Eggs and birds for sale/hatching?

Let me see if I can find the links on Tiamulin...

Okay, searching these down was worse than childbirth...

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/mycoplasma_sensitivity.htm

http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/avian_mycoplasma.htm

http://www.qcsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=denagard

It's hopeful!

So if I give them this....It will save my flock and and I continue with my plans for hatching eggs and consuming eggs? This is better then Duramycin? Do I want to use if after I have use Duramycin?

Have you had the birds tested? You have no idea what you are actually treating until you have a real diagnosis and not just a guess. There are about 6 different respiratory diseases out there and they are caused by different organisms. Some are a virus and there is nothing that will treat it. Infectious laryngotracheitis is a herpes virus specific to chickens. Antibiotics will do NOTHING for it. That might be why the medications you are giving are not working. Tylan is the best you can do without a prescription and easy to get at the farm store. Denagard is much newer and is not supposed to cause antibiotic resistance, but have to order it online. It can also be given to prevent infection. I have only seen information on using it for MG/MS, but have heard from some folks on here that it works for other resp. Issues. Baytril is very effective, but you need a vet write for it and some won't do chickens at all. I would highly recommend that if you have a chicken die from a respiratory illness that you get it to your State Veterunarian for necropsy. It was free in Virginia, low cost in some state, and some states are a bit pricey. The advantage is you know what you are dealing with and you can better attack your enemy and decide what you want to do. Also, read about Biosecurity as much as you can. It's really important and it may save you anymore pain. I hope this helps.
smile.png

Quote:
So you have been safely consuming your eggs after treatment??

Don't eat the eggs for 3 weeks after the last treatment of antibiotic. It does leave their system. It's the respiratory ilness that doesn't ever leave.

Quote:
So you have been safely consuming your eggs after treatment??

Don't eat the eggs for 3 weeks after the last treatment of antibiotic. It does leave their system. It's the respiratory ilness that doesn't ever leave.

So if the respitatory illness never leaves, How will they effect their eggs for eating, Hatching and for butchering the birds down the road? Also, I never said my antibiotics were not working. I just started treatment yesterday.

Quote:
Where did you read this about MG being passed by the chicken eating the egg? I would be really surprised that MG could survive the trip through a chicken's gastrointestinal tract. I know that MG can be passed on to a chick that comes from an MG infected flock/egg. About a 10% chance from an infected flock. I would really like to read this study or article myself. Thanks!

Quote:

So if the respitatory illness never leaves, How will they effect their eggs for eating, Hatching and for butchering the birds down the road? Also, I never said my antibiotics were not working. I just started treatment yesterday.

You can still eat the eggs and the meat. IF you have MG, which u can't know without testing, you would not want to hatch eggs since the chick has a 10 percent chance of having MG when hatched. If on antibiotics wait 3 weeks after last dose to eat eggs. Sorry had thought u said antibiotics not working. Duramycin is stii not drug of choice. Hope this helps some

Everything I have read says that tylan is better for respiratory issues. You can always try something else first and then use it if not working. If u want information from a man widely respected in the chicken world talk with Peter Brown at www.firststatevetsupply. He will not steer u wrong. You are right to question what folks say, not all info on a forum is trustworthy. I am fairly new to chickens, but have had to read lots and with a strong human medical background I have acquired information quickly due to illness in my flock. Read what u can from lots of folks. In the end u have to decide what is right for you. Good luck!

One last question......Very important...

What about introducing new birds? I have about 17 young birds in a large brooder we made out in the sunroom who were suppse to go out to the coop this week but I have postponed it. When is it safe to let them out? Will it ever be safe to let them out? Will they catch it since my birds will always be carriers? If my new birds are going to catch it, Then I will have no choice but to cull the whole flock and sanitize.

Back
Top Bottom