CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

Quote:
Don't eat the eggs for 3 weeks after the last treatment of antibiotic. It does leave their system. It's the respiratory ilness that doesn't ever leave.

So if the respitatory illness never leaves, How will they effect their eggs for eating, Hatching and for butchering the birds down the road? Also, I never said my antibiotics were not working. I just started treatment yesterday.

My understanding is that the eggs are fine to eat, as is the meat, once you've allowed 3 weeks following the final dose of antibiotics. Do look at the Denagard info- it can be given following a full course of Duramycin, but you'll want to supplement their feed with yogurt with live cultures or probiotics from some other source, such as Valley Vet's various supplements or baby parrot formula powder. This will keep them from getting overwhelmed in their GI by a flora and fauna imbalance.

I wouldn't stop the Duramycin and switch to Denagard simply because one should always complete a course of antibiotics for a plethora of reasons. You'll have to order the Denagard, anyway.

Evaluate their health before throwing a new treatment at them, too- they may be weakened by the first round and need recovery time. I agree Peter Brown is incredibly helpful!

Quote:
So if the respitatory illness never leaves, How will they effect their eggs for eating, Hatching and for butchering the birds down the road? Also, I never said my antibiotics were not working. I just started treatment yesterday.

My understanding is that the eggs are fine to eat, as is the meat, once you've allowed 3 weeks following the final dose of antibiotics. Do look at the Denagard info- it can be given following a full course of Duramycin, but you'll want to supplement their feed with yogurt with live cultures or probiotics from some other source, such as Valley Vet's various supplements or baby parrot formula powder. This will keep them from getting overwhelmed in their GI by a flora and fauna imbalance.

I wouldn't stop the Duramycin and switch to Denagard simply because one should always complete a course of antibiotics for a plethora of reasons. You'll have to order the Denagard, anyway.

Evaluate their health before throwing a new treatment at them, too- they may be weakened by the first round and need recovery time. I agree Peter Brown is incredibly helpful!

TSC sells probiotics I believe. Does it matter if they are not pultry specific?

Quote:
Where did you read this about MG being passed by the chicken eating the egg? I would be really surprised that MG could survive the trip through a chicken's gastrointestinal tract. I know that MG can be passed on to a chick that comes from an MG infected flock/egg. About a 10% chance from an infected flock. I would really like to read this study or article myself. Thanks!

http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/diseases.htm
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 :

Mycoplasma gallisepticum
Synonyms: MG, chronic respiratory disease (CRD), infectious sinusitis, mycoplasmosis

Species affected: chickens, turkeys, pigeons, ducks, peafowl and passerine birds.

Clinical signs: Clinical symptoms vary slightly between species. Infected adult chickens may show no outward signs if infection is uncomplicated. However, sticky, serous exudate from nostrils, foamy exudate in eyes, and swollen sinuses can occur, especially in broilers. The air sacs may become infected. Infected birds can develop respiratory rales and sneeze. Affected birds are often stunted and unthrifty (see Table 1 ).

There are two forms of this disease in the turkey. With the "upper form" the birds have watery eyes and nostrils, the infraorbitals (just below the eye) become swollen, and the exudate becomes caseous and firm. The birds have respiratory rales and show unthriftiness.

With the "lower form", infected turkeys develop airsacculitis. As with chickens, birds can show no outward signs if the infection is uncomplicated. Thus, the condition may go unnoticed until the birds are slaughtered and the typical legions are seen. Birds with airsacculitis are condemned.

MG in chicken embryos can cause dwarfing, airsacculitis, and death.

Transmission: MG can be spread to offspring through the egg. Most commercial breeding flocks, however, are MG-free. Introduction of infected replacement birds can introduce the disease to MG-negative flocks. MG can also be spread by using MG-contaminated equipment.

Treatment : Outbreaks of MG can be controlled with the use of antibiotics. Erythromycin, tylosin, spectinomycin, and lincomycin all exhibit anti-mycoplasma activity and have given good results. Administration of most of these antibiotics can be by feed, water or injection. These are effective in reducing clinical disease. However, birds remain carriers for life.

Prevention: Eradication is the best control of mycoplasma disease. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors all participating chicken and turkey breeder flocks.​

Quote:

Where can we order denagard? I lost one flock to mg/ms . I am starting again after 3 months and wonder about starting it in the early winter as a preventative. Gloria jean

Quote:

Where can we order denagard? I lost one flock to mg/ms . I am starting again after 3 months and wonder about starting it in the early winter as a preventative. Gloria jean

QC Supply has it, but it's not labeled for poultry use in the United States. There is tons of information on it in various British poultry sites, however. I can only vouch for what the studies show- I have no applicable experience, but I know there is an approved preventive dose for birds in England on the labeling.

The links to the studies in my post above may give the dosages- I can't remember.

Quote:
If your birds are carriers yes any new birds you bring in can catch the illness and then become sick and carriers also.

Quote:
I missed this one.

Here's what I would do:

1. Run through a full course of Duramycin. Observe for health and run a course of Denagard, if well enough. Supplement with probiotics- I would use what TSC has and baby parrot formula.

2. Move chicks to a different coop outside, keep separate. Very separate. Wash hands well between flocks and never wear the same shoes around them.

3. If all of the adult flock seem well and asymptomatic- no sneezes, no wheezes, no symptoms at all for 2 weeks- introduce one sacrificial bird. Use a cage, as you'll likely get the bird beat up if you don't. You'll need to observe this bird for at least 2 weeks, but I'm not positive on the incubation period for this. If the sacrificial bird becomes symptomatic, you know you have a carrier. That's the only way to know.

Here's a bit more info: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

Quote:
I missed this one.

Here's what I would do:

1. Run through a full course of Duramycin. Observe for health and run a course of Denagard, if well enough. Supplement with probiotics- I would use what TSC has and baby parrot formula.

2. Move chicks to a different coop outside, keep separate. Very separate. Wash hands well between flocks and never wear the same shoes around them.

3. If all of the adult flock seem well and asymptomatic- no sneezes, no wheezes, no symptoms at all for 2 weeks- introduce one sacrificial bird. Use a cage, as you'll likely get the bird beat up if you don't. You'll need to observe this bird for at least 2 weeks, but I'm not positive on the incubation period for this. If the sacrificial bird becomes symptomatic, you know you have a carrier. That's the only way to know.

Here's a bit more info: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

This would be a good way to go about things. I think you would know after a period of time if the bird got it. The other option if you can have one tested is to immunize your young ones from whatever you have going on. They would then be protected. We elected to do this when our flock got ILT. Very nasty suff. This is a bit risky since this one is super contagious and easy to spread. We do not sell chicks or hathing eggs and they are more our pets. They did have to stay in our basement brooder area for 3 weeks after to ensure their immunity. This has worked for us so far, but we are super careful and will even shower and change clothes if we have been outside. Peter Brown is great help if you are interested in vaccinating.

Sorry, in my earlier posts not trying to push tylan, just that as far as what can easily be obtained from your farm store it may be your best bet. Denagard is supposed to be wonderful and I want to read more about it. Also, Baytril is better than tylan but needs a prescription. I am at work and trying to write quick posts between cases, so I sound short possibly. Don't mean to be. JUst trying to pass on what I have learned so far. Hope this is helpful.

If URI are sooooo common in poultry, I find it hard to magine that I shouldn't be able to keep my flock and add more. I mean, my husband and I were just thinking, How many chickens do you think we EAT that are sick? I mean in production poultry houses, They have thousands of birds in such a small area with NO fresh air and tons of illness being spred from one bird to the next. I highly doubt when I poultry producer hears a bird cough, they medicate the whole flock or cull them all either. Same with eggs. I have seen the way chickens are house for both eggs and meat. Cramped in tiny cages with so many other birds they can hardly turn around. Never once do we question are eggs from the store.

Back
Top Bottom