Cream Legbar Club -- WWIT

Structurally, I'm thinking that the club should meet quarterly -- and the newsletter go out quarterly. (for the first year) This wouldn't over burden anyone. I know everyone is busy. Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn. The news letter would be electronic.

The first year would be lots of business getting the club set up.....and maybe some events for the leading edge people who want to promote the breed.... For example GaryDean26 will be at an event in March.

People would have to be club members to be able to enter their roosters or hens in the database. Ideally the Roosters and Hens would be the cream-de-la-creme of the cream legbars that we have. so, once again, not every hatchling would be in the database. Maybe this isn't a good idea??

What are your thoughts. Quantity to start out or limited to only quality....Everyone's best pair or pair of pairs? Hmmmm.

frow.gif
Hi, I'm also in on a club.

It seems to me to get things up and running the next things we need to finalize are

A name
B logo
C website
D quarterly newsletter/meeting

in that order. We need a name and logo before the website and we need a website to have a place for all this information to be permanent and available. MnMPoultry, what are our options for websites? Are there good sources for us to set up a "free" one at least for now? You and cjwaldon are our two go-to people for website experience, although cjwaldon is busy at the moment so maybe if you could get us started.

Then in no particular order, I agree a regional division for the club is a good idea. And then there is the database itself. That is good to know there is SOMETHING out there to base it on. Again though I have no knowledge or experience in that area. Going on the honor and reputation system may make for a rocky start, but I agree it's probably the best way. So the database needs a place to be able to give feedback on a breeder, and a resolution system so breeders have a chance to work things out to protect their reputation. Another thought that came to me is we only enter chickens into the database of a certain age, given the high mortality rate of chicks. For example, breeding age and up. Thoughts on that?

Rinda

I say American Cream Legbar Club sounds like a good name. There are a few folks here in Washington/the Pacific Northwest that have legbars so we would probably have to have a mini election for the regional president. I know if we have a club, I would do premiums at shows for the best of breed and all that good stuff. When the club is up and running, it would also make awareness much easier since so many people tend to think they are mixes due to the composite name. We do vinyl and banners so I could make one for our region to be used at shows.
I am probably one of the few people that isn't too interested in a database, I keep personal records but don't want to worry about mess ups or anything like that.

Rinda and Flying --

great input.

So, I'm hearing:

1. there needs to be a way to resolve any issues... "Is this REALLY a cream legbar", "How dare they try to sully my online database reputation"...I'm off to the Cream Legbar Club committe to have arbitration ---

2. Database must be bullet proof.... so no messing up. If someone wants to have their particular chicken data entered by someone else...they could probably be arranged through the club secretary once that person sent the correct info in, let's say an email. In general -- my experience with online databases is that if they are well set up--- you can't mess 'em up too badly...and if something is entered wrongly-- Let's say I meant to put M and I put F or the sex....it can be easily corrected.

Chickens should be a certain age before entering. Agreed that makes good sense. We also (due to that high mortality rate) probably need to have a field to identify disposition - death, retirement, sold - and to whom the bird was sold. I think that a database could also be a protection --- If there is a photo of a particular chicken in the database -- that could go a long way toward chicken ID -- (I really believe that...scientific back up may be there that chickens use facial recognition to identify each other -- kind of like humans.-- y'all may see it in a different way)

Will the database be useful? I'm a pretty strong advocate of the utility.

RachaelS has great db skills---and like CJWaldon is very busy. -- We do have a lot of talent in our interest group.

OK... let's go with this -- Working name: American Cream Legbar Club Working Logo - PIck one from the samples developed by blackbirds13 in the SOP thread. Database TBD

members to date:

rye
rinda
red
flying
fay
garydean
me

c'mon the rest of you -- belly-up-to-the-bar and get your name on the list. :O) I know of some names that belong there...but I'm not going to be too presumptous (spelled that wrong too)...

How's about the first virtual meeting -- using something like 'come to meeting' (does that still exist?) or Google Groups or a chat room or something semi realtime - -Jan 15 2013 (that's a Tuesday.... we will syncronize our time zones and see what we can come up with)--- There are still a few weeks for that. Newsletter - to be done by the secretary pro-tem -- at/during/after the meeting. I will volunteer to draft an agenda for the first meeting and I will run it past some of you for input...... Laing - how's everything coming.

think of more problems that we will hit.

Sounds like a lot of progress is being made.

On the database, I recommend that you have a club registrar who is in charge of the database and ensures data integrity. I'd consider letting anyone register cream legbars for the next two years if they submit photos and demonstrate that the birds have no disqualifying traits from the breed standard. (There are only a few DQs in the standard: Side sprigs on comb. Eye pupil other than round and clearly defined. Crooked breast. Wry tail. Any bodily deformity.) After the two year open registration period is over I'd suggest that only the descendants of registered birds or newly imported birds (proof should be required of legal importation) that meet the standard would be registered.

Your club has a unique opportunity here: To track the pedigree of a popular chicken breed literally from the first generation of imports. What you are doing is groundbreaking and potentially very helpful to thousands of future legbar owners.

Back
Top Bottom