cream legbar colouring

Sounds like someone who doesn't want you as competition. On threads I've subscribed to, various people have cream legbars - they look like your birds. I agree with d.heltzel.

BTW glad you joined the BYC flock.

You're occasionally going to encounter "bad apples" in any interaction with strangers. I would recommend ignoring them. If someone claims they are not CCL's ask them how they differ from the SOP -- oh wait! they are too new to have an SOP in America, so I guess your opinion is as good as theirs.

Even if there is an SOP for the breed, accusing someone of fraud is a bit much, they should just go buy somewhere else if they are not happy with the birds. Your birds look like CCL's and hatched from blue eggs. You have as much right to sell them as CCL's as any commercial hatchery has to sell their stock as "Rhode Island Reds" or "Ameracaunas", when they are obviously not even close to the SOP for those breeds.

I appreciate the "purists" that breed to strict standards, they are an important part of the marketplace and I hope I can acquire one of their "greatly improved" cockerels at some point to breed into my line of "common fowl". It helps everyone, they can get a decent price for a cockerel (I can't give mine away unless they are big enough to eat) and I can get new bloodlines to improve my stock, but (hopefully) keep the higher production qualities I breed for.

I wouldn't be too bothered by the purists telling you they aren't true CCL's. I would buy your birds as CCL's, if that makes you feel better.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Hi dheltzel!

I wanted to let you know that the Legbar Standard from Britain (where I suspect Kezzle666 is located) has been in the record books since 1958.

When Greenfire Farms imported the birds several years ago a Cream Legbar Club was organized and we are adapting that British SOP into American language so that it conforms to the APA format and language. Currently we are working on our 3rd draft and there is still work to be done as the British Standards are less descriptive in general than the APA requires. It is a huge amount of work and we are trying very hard to make sure that the standard is not changing what the bird will look like, just be more descriptive of the original intent of the breed. Here is a link to the draft: https://sites.google.com/site/thecr...p-revision-1-replaced-late-2013-by-revision-2

Although the APA has not adopted the Cream Legbar into their SOP, there is a working draft that breeders are encouraged to read and interpret and bred to . The ultimate goal is to get the breed into the Standard. We need to show many birds and must have at least 50% of them fitting the draft standard to get them admitted. It will take 5-10 years--or maybe more--to get them in. A long process and this draft is crucial to the process. Without it there would be no Cream Legbar.

The Brits are pretty harsh to off-type birds. 'That's not a real Cream Legbar' or the very non-descriptive 'mutt' etc. all from a single photo. Really? Over here, we have come to realize that most birds from the original importer are off-type/color in one way or another. GFF is a hatchery and are not engaged with breeding towards the standard. We were told by several Brits that our birds are a substandard mess and we should scrap them and start with new stock. How rude! My preference and that of many breeders is to call the off-type (many are missing crests, most are undersized etc) and off-color (this is a variety problem--the plumage color is often gold--some of Kezza666's birds have this flaw-- instead of cream, or there is more than the allowed chestnut etc) birds that are obviously autosexing and obviously of Cream Legbar extraction something like 'off-type', 'pet-quality', 'hatchery quality', 'gold-tinted' (or other descriptor that indicates the flaw) Cream Legbar.

We really do try to include everyone and make them feel welcomed. Everyone has flaws, we acknowledge the problems and breed toward the SOP!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom