Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
This thread hasn't been posted on in quite awhile so I thought I would add a few pics and bump this thread up
big_smile.png

Here are some I got photos of last week.

3-1/2 Month old Pullets. Cream pullet in front. Gold pullets in back.

3-4 month old flock. Cream Cockerel on Right, Gold on left.

I am so woefully behind on all the threads and am trying to go back to the unread posts! First of all--great looking flock! I am hoping to get some clarification on your chicken's dilution designation:

1) In the top photo of the pullets, I totally see the gold on the Pullet on the very back. I totally see the Cream in the pullet on the front. I am however, confused about why you are designating the one on the right as gold, not Cream. I see Cream hackles but a red saturation around the throat that I have been attributing as some sort of Red enhancement much like you see in Welsummers and a lot of LB Leghorns. I know that ig does not inhibit the red very well which is why you will see the very bright red on the wings of boys that have too much of this Autosomal Red. Could you elaborate on what you are looking for and why you call her Cream, and if possible let me know if you have done test hatches (of her parents or others similar to her, of course) to confirm her status?

2) I have been going off of gold in the wing bay to tell ig/ig status in boys. I have seen a few roos pictured that have a brown tone along with the grey barring that have been labeled as confirmed Cream. I am looking at this fellow in the left and wondering, since he has more red saturation in his wings, if his deeper color in the saddle is due to red? In non-barred Cream Leghorn cocks there does seem to be quite a variety of colors of Cream, including a straw color, which is why I ask. I was wondering if you are going by gold in the wing bay to determine if the roo on the left is Gold, or if you are using other indicators like the saddle or test hatches to determine his status?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
1) I have hatch from 3-4 hens that look like the hen in the back right and all of them produce cockerels with the bright chestnut saddle feathers and sholders. I have to watch the body color on the hens since some of the gold hens have very light hackles. Hens with a brown hue to the body color produce gold cockerel when paired to a cream cockerel and hens with a grey color to their body produce cream colored cockerels when paired to cream cockerels.

Here is other photo of the Cream and Gold hen. Note the difference the body color. If you are seeing light hackels, but the brown body, then your hens may be a carrier for cream, but from what I have been seeing they don't breed true for cream.

Note: I find it useful to track the pullets through their development because there seems to be a window when you can see the difference in body color fairly clearly and then they do a mini molt and the cream birds are back to looking nearly identical to the light gold birds.

2) I am was not sure about the color of the cockerel on the left at first. He was the only light colored cockerel that I wasn't sure was Cream. I held onto him, on sorting day to watch his development but was guessing he was gold.

I have been using the wing bay on the cockerels until the saddle feathers come in to determine who is gold and who is cream. Once the saddle feathers come in it is usually pretty clear. With the boy on the left it wasn't clear so I had to go back and look at the wing bay. His wing bay is gold, despite being really light, he is GOLD.

P.S. I will try to get a side by side photo of the body color of the cream hen and the really light gold hen. It may be hard to see the difference in a photo though.

Last edited:
dretd and garydean26 -
thanks for the nuanced discussion of cream vs gold in both pullets and cockerels.
Many points made match up with my observations, and others give me something to consider further.

1) I have hatch from 3-4 hens that look like the hen in the back right and all of them produce cockerels with the bright chestnut saddle feathers and sholders. I have to watch the body color on the hens since some of the gold hens have very light hackles. Hens with a brown hue to the body color produce gold cockerel when paired to a cream cockerel and hens with a grey color to their body produce cream colored cockerels when paired to cream cockerels.

Here is other photo of the Cream and Gold hen. Note the difference the body color. If you are seeing light hackels, but the brown body, then your hens may be a carrier for cream, but from what I have been seeing they don't breed true for cream.

Note: I find it useful to track the pullets through their development because there seems to be a window when you can see the difference in body color fairly clearly and then they do a mini molt and the cream birds are back to looking nearly identical to the light gold birds.

2) I am was not sure about the color of the cockerel on the left at first. He was the only light colored cockerel that I wasn't sure was Cream. I held onto him, on sorting day to watch his development but was guessing he was gold.

I have been using the wing bay on the cockerels until the saddle feathers come in to determine who is gold and who is cream. Once the saddle feathers come in it is usually pretty clear. With the boy on the left it wasn't clear so I had to go back and look at the wing bay. His wing bay is gold, despite being really light, he is GOLD.
P.S. I will try to get a side by side photo of the body color of the cream hen and the really light gold hen. It may be hard to see the difference in a photo though.

Lovely birds Curtis.
I have to say I don't have that issue with my girls that have some brown areas on their backs/body. Anything with a cream hackle has bred cream for me despite the enhanced melanization on the face and neck or areas of chestnut speckling on the bodies. I have some that are clean bodied and grey but red around the face and some clean in the face but with some ehancers showing up... they are not exactly consistent in the enhancer department . My only girls that have not bred true have been the ones with a golden hackle. I have one that had a hackle that until her molt this past fall I was skeptical on but looking at her now she is clearly not double cream. From what I have read the ig gene will lessen the effect on the body but not totally eliminate it and not affect all the autosomal and pheomelanic coloring.
I think that the statements made by dretd on the other thread has some stock to it in that what may be valid for one person's flock may not hold true for another's. Just as some get great cream boys from dark gray chicks and I get very colorful ones and only cream when the male chick down is very light and a slatey gray so there is small bit of brown in there.
Your girls also look a bit different than mine do from the photos. I find it fascinating that there is diversity in what they look like whether cream or gold.
There also is a difference in the tone of the salmon from my gold to my cream but that is something I am still watching.

Back
Top Bottom