Cream Legbar pullet or cockerel chick?

It's light head, three years of "bad luck", and my tendency to worry!

It's head doesn't look light to me for a Cream Legabar so I wouldn't worry. Here's a picture of my Cream Legbar cockerel when he was three weeks old.

Shouldn't a Cream Legbar cockerel have a gray barred chest? That is an awful lot of red for a Legbar.

I don't think they were from a very good line. It could have been a breeder Rhodebar, but it had a giant comb and the body type of a Legbar. The breeder had TONS of different rare breeds that she didn't tell me she had because on Facebook she had probably fifty different pens that I could see in the pictures. :idunno

It's light head, three years of "bad luck", and my tendency to worry!
Even though its a pain, more pics would help. Clear unobstructed close up pictures of the top view showing top of head and back will help and also clear close up pics of its profile showing wing feathers as well as face will help. Do you have pics of when they were day old chicks? Now that they are getting wing feathers the patterns and colors will be different. If it is male the feathers will start coming in gray and white. Or you could always post back in a few weeks with updated pics.

Chick down can be both light and dark for both males and females. Both genders can also have eyeliner, head spots and chipmunk pattern. Difference is males have more of a head splotch or irregular white spot females head spots are small and tight. Male eyeliner is less distinct almost softer in color and not defined, while females have darker defined eyeliner. Same with the back pattern, males back pattern can have chipmunk markings also but the markings are more fuzzy or diffused while females have very defined and distinct markings that follow the back of the head and form a defined V on the head, males can have a V also but it is not as distinct.

Here is an example to show CL chick down

Top 3 pics are male bottom 2 chicks are female. These are just a few examples of chick down.

Okay, here are updated photos of the mystery chick at three weeks!
And, for your amusement, a photo of the SEVENTY SIX (Yup 76) eggs that my husband found under the poop board. Well! And there I thought the girls weren't laying due to the stress of a broody hen. Live and learn. And now, off to see if the eggs sink or float. . ..

I have to say, this cream legbar chick looks like a boy to me but I don't know from nothin. . .. :-(
And he's CUTE!

As to not full bred, it is My husband got photo of the little ahem guy's head.

A cream Legbar cockerel should feather out barred. Female Legbar does not feather out barred. If he is not barred, there are three trains of thought.... One - he is not a cockerel. Two - he is not purebred Three - he is very poor quality .

Sorry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom