Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hello There! I am new to breeding chickens, and decided that Crested Cream Legbars are the birds for me. The autosexing trait is a huge plus, and I want good free-rangers so the alertness of the breed appealed to me too. I want to develop good homesteading stock, so I will be selecting for egg production and bird size while staying within the breed standards (My girls will hopefully be showing them in 4-H someday!) So far I have had a dismal hatch rate from shipped eggs, but I have ended up with 3 chicks, all cockerels. 2 dark ones from one breeder, and a lighter one from a different breeder. I want to keep one of these guys as my founding rooster. From what I have been reading, as long as he is correct in other ways, the lighter one is the most desirable? Below is a pic...
I plan on growing out all 3 for awhile to see which meets standard the best. At what age can you typically tell with these guys?
Thank you in advance for you input. I am learning a lot about this breed, and hope to come up with some good birds. I am setting another 10 or so eggs on Monday from a third breeder, so hopefully next I will get some pullets!

Hello There! I am new to breeding chickens, and decided that Crested Cream Legbars are the birds for me. The autosexing trait is a huge plus, and I want good free-rangers so the alertness of the breed appealed to me too. I want to develop good homesteading stock, so I will be selecting for egg production and bird size while staying within the breed standards (My girls will hopefully be showing them in 4-H someday!) So far I have had a dismal hatch rate from shipped eggs, but I have ended up with 3 chicks, all cockerels. 2 dark ones from one breeder, and a lighter one from a different breeder. I want to keep one of these guys as my founding rooster. From what I have been reading, as long as he is correct in other ways, the lighter one is the most desirable? Below is a pic...
I plan on growing out all 3 for awhile to see which meets standard the best. At what age can you typically tell with these guys?
Thank you in advance for you input. I am learning a lot about this breed, and hope to come up with some good birds. I am setting another 10 or so eggs on Monday from a third breeder, so hopefully next I will get some pullets!
the light one looks very very nice. Im not sure on the age at which you can tell for the roos. I will be keeping all my males well into their 4 month. until i see their fully mature combs and earlobes i wont decide on a male. .

Hi There,

I live in Redmond not too far from you. I have 5 hens a laying right now, I have some chicks approx 3 weeks old and eggs coming from Texas in a couple of weeks. Your light colored cockerel looks interesting, hopefully he grows out nicely. Let me know if you need some local eggs to try for pullets.

Flaming Chicken;
Thank you very much for the offer. I just got some hatching eggs from another local breeder...Green fire stock from last year and this year. she has hatched a few of the light cockerels too. Hopefully I get some pullets out of these 9 eggs. I can't be that unlucky, right? If these don't work out for whatever reason, or I need some fresh blood, I may look you up!
Same goes for you...looks like I will have some extra cockerels, and hatching eggs in the future if you ever need some new blood lines locally!

Flaming Chicken;
Thank you very much for the offer. I just got some hatching eggs from another local breeder...Green fire stock from last year and this year. she has hatched a few of the light cockerels too. Hopefully I get some pullets out of these 9 eggs. I can't be that unlucky, right? If these don't work out for whatever reason, or I need some fresh blood, I may look you up!
Same goes for you...looks like I will have some extra cockerels, and hatching eggs in the future if you ever need some new blood lines locally!
i could use some fresh blood.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom