Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

...I want to develop good homesteading stock, so I will be selecting for egg production and bird size while staying within the breed standards...

If you are breeding for good homesteading then you should consider keeping ALL of these cockerels to maturity. The priority list that the American Livestock Association list for poultry are 1) growth rate 2) Mature Weight 3) Laying ability 4) Breed Type 5) Color 6) Fertility

So if you don't grow them all out you won't be able to effectively evaluate them in the most important areas. Also, after a very complete education on down type and what to look for in Black Copper Marans from my marans mentor she warned my to never cull based on down color alone. :)

If you are breeding for good homesteading then you should consider keeping ALL of these cockerels to maturity.  The priority list that the American Livestock Association list for poultry are 1) growth rate 2) Mature Weight 3) Laying ability 4) Breed Type 5) Color 6) Fertility

So if you don't grow them all out you won't be able to effectively evaluate them in the most important areas.  Also, after a very complete education on down type and what to look for in Black Copper Marans from my marans mentor she warned my to never cull based on down color alone. :)

No worries, I am definitely planning on growing them all out. I was just excited that I got a light one, and he gets a point for that, but it is certainly only one of many factors!
The autosexing is definitely a plus for me though, and selecting for strong down traits is one of those factors. It seems like a lot of the chicks are becoming more ambiguous as far as the autosexing goes.
We will see how they mature!

i could use some fresh blood.
frow.gif
That does sound a bit creepy out of context! I will certainly post if I get to the point where I am shipping eggs! Considering my oldest CL's are 1 week old, I have a ways to go :)

Back
Top Bottom