Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Here are some photos of the Jan1 hatch of Crested Cream Legbars that I got from Chuck's Clucks in Alabama.
Wide variety of coloring--but I think I have some good ones--
1 of the roos has a pretty wild crest and a wavy comb.

2 roos with totally different colors

The one on the right is so wrong, I would guess he is a mixed breed not pure. I would NOT breed that guy, he needs to go in the soup pot. The one on the left isn't too bad, he will probably get even more chestnut on his shoulders as he matures. I'd love to see another pic of him in about a month!

The one on the right is so wrong, I would guess he is a mixed breed not pure.  I would NOT breed that guy, he needs to go in the soup pot.  The one on the left isn't too bad, he will probably get even more chestnut on his shoulders as he matures.  I'd love to see another pic of him in about a month!
the one on the left has a chest like my hybrids have. Id say hes probably not pure

Here are some photos of the Jan1 hatch of Crested Cream Legbars that I got from Chuck's Clucks in Alabama.
Wide variety of coloring--but I think I have some good ones--
1 of the roos has a pretty wild crest and a wavy comb.

They look like they will both be a bit colorful given the saddle and shoulder colors. Is the top photo the same two roosters or are there 3? In the bottom photo, the darker one may not be mixed just dark barred but his barring is indistinct and not very even giving him a blotchy look but his hackle is already very yellow so he'll probably be an exceptionally very vibrant rooster. Some folks like the very colorful boys but they do not meet the draft standard. I personally would have culled him. I would not advise you to breed him or grow him out for anything but the soup pot if you are thinking of breeding towards the standard as he will not get you there. He could be sold as a blue egger but I would not label his as a Cream Legbar and disappoint someone else. One of your girls looks like a possible good cream girl. It's not so much the breast you want to look at, some perfect cream females do have issues with melanizers in that area. More so the hackle and overall plumage coloring. The other boy(s) I'd grow out an take a look. They don't look like crosses to me just not a very 'careful' breeding program in my opinion (and my opinion only). Spread the wings out on your boys and take a look at the secondary feathers and choose the one with the least amount of chestnut there as that is a sign for cream versus gold. You want the secondary area to be grey and white barred and little to no chestnut as possible but, don't forget to look at the comb and crest and leg color and tail angle and.... well you get it. I would more advise you look for a rooster from another source, genetic diversity for one and then maybe just a better mate for any possible keepers you have a females. Start with the best you can get/afford as it's easier down the line.

Last edited:
So far I think my latest boy is looking great and I think he is Cream
fl.gif

The girls I just can't tell
idunno.gif

Any critique or breeding advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

And If anyone would like some free cockerel chicks from these birds please let me know! I am located in NY

Thanks!

Trish

So far I think my latest boy is looking great and I think he is Cream
fl.gif

The girls I just can't tell
idunno.gif

Any critique or breeding advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

And If anyone would like some free cockerel chicks from these birds please let me know! I am located in NY

Thanks!

Trish

Here is an opinion FWIW, your boy is looking pretty good. He will develop some more coloring but appears to be at least heterozygous for cream. The girl in the bottom picture also appears heterozygous for cream. The other girls appear to be gold/gold. Get some other opiions from those who have more experience than me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom