Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Ahhh I finally got my cream leg bars. Two are Two-three weeks old and one about a week old. I'm reading with interest the posts.

Happy Easter to my Legbar friends! My first hens started to lay about a month ago. The color and size are improving.

Talk about the best Easter present ever. I believe my Cream Legbar Chicks are coming tomorrow! I am so excited!
yesss.gif

jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

I have been looking at this breed for year now. I do have a question. I am new to breeding chickens so I am looking for the best books on the topic. I went to my local library and found nothing useful. What books would you recommend on this topic? Again I am not looking for a book on basic care. I want a book about breeding chickens. Thank you for your help.
big_smile.png

KPennly is putting together a guide that is specific to the Cream Legbar. I have seen some of it in the works and it will be a must have resource for everyone breeding to the proposed APA standard once avialble through the CLB club.

As far as general breeding books for some one just starting with chickens I would start with the classic literature. The modern books are written around people that buy stock every year to raise. They tend to be lacking on how to build private breeding lines, how to cull your flock, how to select breeding stock, how to pair stock, how to choose a breeding plan, how to keep breeding records, etc.

I would start with the Kansas Circulars and the papers on the Heritage Livestock Association site. You also can go to the Open Library and search for classic books on specific topic (incubation, feed & Nutrition, parasite control, mating & pairing, trap nesting, egg production, etc.)

Last edited:
Talk about the best Easter present ever. I believe my Cream Legbar Chicks are coming tomorrow! I am so excited!
yesss.gif

jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

I have been looking at this breed for year now. I do have a question. I am new to breeding chickens so I am looking for the best books on the topic. I went to my local library and found nothing useful. What books would you recommend on this topic? Again I am not looking for a book on basic care. I want a book about breeding chickens. Thank you for your help.
big_smile.png
Congratulations on your Cream Legbars...

Regarding books: I recently enjoyed reading
Breeding for Success by Grant Brereton. he is one of the premiere chicken color geneticists in the world, a very great writer, the editor of Fancy Fowl magazine in the UK - and an all around great guy. He recently conducted a genetics seminar in North Carolina that I was able to attend...and it was great....He has a number of books on the subject. parts of this book are also available on line as a preview of the book.

There is another much older book - I think from the early 1900's that is available as an eBook-- PM me for info---if you want details - but Breeding for Success would be the one I would recommend.

http://www.gold-cockerel-books.co.uk/website/index.php/breeding-for-success.html you can check out some sample pages there...

I also just noticed that all the books are ebooks I think---makes them fast and lower cost...here is a link to his site...ALSO there are a number of his articles linked there.
http://www.gbpoultry.com/Home.html

Here is an amazon book by him too - called 21st century poultry breeding
http://www.amazon.com/Century-Poultry-Breeding-Grant-Brereton/dp/0947870571

Congratulations on your Cream Legbars...

Regarding books: I recently enjoyed reading
Breeding for Success by Grant Brereton. he is one of the premiere chicken color geneticists in the world, a very great writer, the editor of Fancy Fowl magazine in the UK - and an all around great guy. He recently conducted a genetics seminar in North Carolina that I was able to attend...and it was great....He has a number of books on the subject. parts of this book are also available on line as a preview of the book.

There is another much older book - I think from the early 1900's that is available as an eBook-- PM me for info---if you want details - but Breeding for Success would be the one I would recommend.

http://www.gold-cockerel-books.co.uk/website/index.php/breeding-for-success.html you can check out some sample pages there...

I also just noticed that all the books are ebooks I think---makes them fast and lower cost...here is a link to his site...ALSO there are a number of his articles linked there.
http://www.gbpoultry.com/Home.html

Here is an amazon book by him too - called 21st century poultry breeding
http://www.amazon.com/Century-Poultry-Breeding-Grant-Brereton/dp/0947870571
Thank you for the book recommendations! They came today! Two Jill Rees girls and a boy! So excited to watch them grow and see what they look like! It is already clear the one girl is going to have a lot more crest than the other. I have never been so worried about the welfare of my baby chicks as I am now. Please, please let them all grow and be healthy. It would be crushing to lose any of them. Crazy to think that they were in Florida yesterday. Tough day for a baby chick.
jumpy.gif

Thank you for the book recommendations! They came today! Two Jill Rees girls and a boy! So excited to watch them grow and see what they look like! It is already clear the one girl is going to have a lot more crest than the other. I have never been so worried about the welfare of my baby chicks as I am now. Please, please let them all grow and be healthy. It would be crushing to lose any of them. Crazy to think that they were in Florida yesterday. Tough day for a baby chick.
jumpy.gif

Wow congrats! Don't forget to post pictures once in a while!

I have never been so worried about the welfare of my baby chicks as I am now. Please, please let them all grow and be healthy. It would be crushing to lose any of them.

We know exactly how you feel. I got two day-old pullets and two day-old cockerels that came from the same place in Florida 2-1/2 years ago. :)

We raised them in isolation. I cared for all of our other chickens so I had my wife care for the Cream Legbars chicks and never even touched them for the first time until they were 8 weeks old because we were so protective of them.

Back
Top Bottom