Cream Legbars

Hi everyone, thought I'd stop in and say hi to fellow CCL lovers. As of now, I have one CCL pullet that is about 6 weeks old.

I am glad to hear they go broody. I was wondering. I have not had one go broody yet, but I am leaving them a nest of eggs they think they hid from me to see if one does.

Only One?

I have around 60 headed to the soup line on the Camp Bus this fall.

LOL I have a bunch of birds I need to place by the end of July as our landlady sold the house out from under us. Only one Legbar though

I am glad to hear they go broody. I was wondering. I have not had one go broody yet, but I am leaving them a nest of eggs they think they hid from me to see if one does.

Only One?

I have around 60 headed to the soup line on the Camp Bus this fall.
You could try leaving dummy eggs in the nest til you know one has gone broody, then replace them with the eggs you want to hatch.

I have a broody Cream Legbar right now too. This is the second time she has been broody this year. I have had three out of my nine Legbar hens go broody this year. All three of the broody hens were from different mothers. Only one of their mothers ever went broody.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone on the broody CL feedback. We are heading out of town on a planned 2 week trip and have a friend staying at our place to take care of all the animals. Found a young 8 week old chick this afternoon in the same coop with the new broody and she had literally been scalped and punctured by at least one other bird - don't know if it was the other 8 week olds that did it or the broody that was just put in the same coop with them. The broody is in a dark area in a kitty litter box/nest but it is not blocked off yet with hardware cloth, so it's possible this little girl wandered too close and got attacked by the broody. She has some sort of problem, we think maybe deaf and blind, since birth. She has never startled like all her broodermates when accessing the brooder and she seems to go in circles and peck at the ground and back up. She is not growing as well as the others as a result. Her broodermates are other Dominiques (like herself) and Silkies, Sizzle and Partridge Rock, DK Brahma and Buckeye. She's been with these all along and has never been bothered until today. She may be in shock but she is resting with a bandage on her head. She's our favorite so we're hoping she pulls through, even though we never really had hopes she would make it long anyway. She will go back in the large brooder/sick bay by herself to mend and see what happens.

You could try leaving dummy eggs in the nest til you know one has gone broody, then replace them with the eggs you want to hatch.

I could...but that would require planning and that is so not me.....
lau.gif

Thanks everyone on the broody CL feedback. We are heading out of town on a planned 2 week trip and have a friend staying at our place to take care of all the animals. Found a young 8 week old chick this afternoon in the same coop with the new broody and she had literally been scalped and punctured by at least one other bird - don't know if it was the other 8 week olds that did it or the broody that was just put in the same coop with them. The broody is in a dark area in a kitty litter box/nest but it is not blocked off yet with hardware cloth, so it's possible this little girl wandered too close and got attacked by the broody. She has some sort of problem, we think maybe deaf and blind, since birth. She has never startled like all her broodermates when accessing the brooder and she seems to go in circles and peck at the ground and back up. She is not growing as well as the others as a result. Her broodermates are other Dominiques (like herself) and Silkies, Sizzle and Partridge Rock, DK Brahma and Buckeye. She's been with these all along and has never been bothered until today. She may be in shock but she is resting with a bandage on her head. She's our favorite so we're hoping she pulls through, even though we never really had hopes she would make it long anyway. She will go back in the large brooder/sick bay by herself to mend and see what happens.

I love people with big hearts to help very disabled chicks/chickens because if it were me I would've culled her rather than keeping her in an isolated or unknown future existence. I know a lot of people have kept their disabled special needs chickens as house pets because of the demands of attention needed - which time is something I don't have. GL with the chickie and hope it goes positive!

We do not as a rule keep chicks with problems but we also don't dispatch until we know they are beyond hope. This chick has been the sweetest we have raised to date and we decided to let nature take its course. It's not like we're really going to great lengths to take care of her, a simple bandage and a safe spot away from the others to heal for a bit is all. We've had to cull other chicks this season and it's difficult, probably the worst thing about raising chicks for us.

We do not as a rule keep chicks with problems but we also don't dispatch until we know they are beyond hope. This chick has been the sweetest we have raised to date and we decided to let nature take its course. It's not like we're really going to great lengths to take care of her, a simple bandage and a safe spot away from the others to heal for a bit is all. We've had to cull other chicks this season and it's difficult, probably the worst thing about raising chicks for us.

Yes, losing chicks is at a higher rate than losing adults but all ages are difficult. We had to put down a very sick 3-yr-old hen this month and she was our overall sweetest girl in the 5 yrs we've had backyard chickens. Never easy. Out of 14 chickens in 5 yrs we currently have 4 hens, re-homed 4 bully hens, re-homed 2 cockerels (not zoned for roos), and lost 4 (death) from chicks to adults. It's hard to fathom that we've cycled through 14 chickens to have only 4 now! When I was younger I took in a disabled English Budgerigar with no foot and another able Budgie took care of him, feeding him, sleeping next to him on the perch, showing him how to splash and take a bath in a shallow dish. So cute! But sadly the disabled bird only lived 6 months - but I'd like to think it was a happy 6 months!

Back
Top Bottom