Cream Legbars

The third to hatch is a male, but he came out of his shell too fast and is bleeding pretty bad from his stomach area. We're just waiting to see if he lives or not. Little sad.

I was outside trying to take a few pics of my roo since his frostbite fell off leaving him with a "crew cut" and I noticed one of the pullets picking his wing. Upon a further look I noticed she is picking his wing feathers clean while leaving the shaft behind. It looks the same on both sides. Has anyone ever seen this? This is a first for me.

shes the culprit(well at least the one I witnessed today)

Last edited:
Final count, 5 boys 4 girls. 9 of fifteen isn't too bad. Wish it was better. Not sure why a couple of them quit. Hoping we're getting better as we go.
They're under the heat plate right now, but I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Two questions: Candling, what am I seeing? Day 11 completed. 18 shipped eggs in incubator. 14 appear to be developing normally (I've hatched eggs before but never shipped eggs) but 4 appear completely dark.
My own eggs which I pulled from the fridge and candled for comparison were clear. I would assume if nothing had happened they would be clear? Did the egg start and quit and then spoil? Why otherwise would the entire egg be dark?
I'm hatching in cardboard egg cartons I have cut the bottoms from. Would foam cartons be better? My husband thought the hatching chicks might stick to the cardboard.

The girls

And the boys

No pics of their backs yet, but I have a couple super light grey boys. Hoping to get the females sold quickly, because we have almost three dozen cream eggs to go in tomorrow.

When a bird is picking at another it is usually that they are seeing something moving (mites-bugs) that we do not see at first. My suggestion is dust or put some kind of mite product (viremec) on him. Pull him away from the girls for a couple of days to give him a break and from them not picking on him, then return him. There is always something that causes the problem. I had OMG MICE!!!!! one time eating on feathers. I put out bate and poof the problem gone. ( bate I used is one bite bars in a gallon milk jug with a big enough whole on the side to get the one bite in. )

Two questions: Candling, what am I seeing? Day 11 completed. 18 shipped eggs in incubator. 14 appear to be developing normally (I've hatched eggs before but never shipped eggs) but 4 appear completely dark.
My own eggs which I pulled from the fridge and candled for comparison were clear. I would assume if nothing had happened they would be clear? Did the egg start and quit and then spoil? Why otherwise would the entire egg be dark?
I'm hatching in cardboard egg cartons I have cut the bottoms from. Would foam cartons be better? My husband thought the hatching chicks might stick to the cardboard.

If the eggs are completely dark at day 11 GET THEM OUT- QUICKLY AND CAREFULLY. They are rotten. Put each in a ziploc bag and then you can safely dispose of them. They probably started to develop and died from bacteria invading the egg, whether they were old, cracked, poorly handled (dirty nests or environment), or sometimes it just happens even with perfectly good eggs.

In my opinion cardboard is better than foam, I hear the styrofoam harbors bacteria worse than the cardboard ones. Either way I wouldn't reuse them for hatching very often if you can help it. The hard plastic egg trays for incubating are really not too expensive they may be worth the investment.

When a bird is picking at another it is usually that they are seeing something moving (mites-bugs) that we do not see at first. My suggestion is dust or put some kind of mite product (viremec) on him. Pull him away from the girls for a couple of days to give him a break and from them not picking on him, then return him. There is always something that causes the problem. I had OMG MICE!!!!! one time eating on feathers. I put out bate and poof the problem gone. ( bate I used is one bite bars in a gallon milk jug with a big enough whole on the side to get the one bite in. )

Thank You. I will dust them all tomorrow just incase.

Back
Top Bottom