Cream Legbars

@chicken pickin
Are these good?

@enola He's pretty good, he's 22 weeks so he's a bit of a hormonal teenager lol

Yes he has a small crest. I know because it look almost exactly like my Hugger, and crossed with white leghorns (no crest) I got crested offspring.

This is my legbar pullet, Nugget. She's 18 weeks now so I'm anxiously awaiting pretty blue eggs. These photographs were only taken about 10 days apart. Her wattle and comb seemed to come in almost overnight. She has quite a bit of gold around her face, which I understand is considered undesirable, but I think it's pretty. I actually don't care for the super-bland cream that everyone is shooting for. She's not going to be bred anyway.

I expect that she'll be laying within the next 4 weeks or so. Did everyone else's legbars start laying around 22 weeks, or am I jumping the gun?

Cutie! Yes she is gold on the neck, but hopefully you get pretty blue eggs from her! Consensus seems to be average point of lay is 24 weeks +- 2 weeks. She's not quite red enough yet to be about to lay, but definitely getting there! The last place to redden up seems to be the area around the eyes. If you pick her up and lay her across your forearm, with her chest nestled in your elbow, your fingers will naturally rest just under her tail- feel for her "hip bones (pelvis)." When they are 1 or 2 fingers apart she is not laying. When they start spreading to about 3 fingers apart eggs are any day!

See the redness around the eye here? This is a laying hen.

Last edited:
I know it has been asked many times and maybe many of us just don't have them yet, but does anyone have any pics of how their Rees line birds are turning out? Pros and cons you see compared to the other lines.

I ask because I am considering buying a juvenile pair and I go back on forth with pros and cons because this line is new and we haven't seen much of them and the very few pics I have seen look very different than the other GFF lines. It makes it a little harder to know what to look for when choosing a pair.

I think it might be a smart idea for me to have a second pen completely non related to my original pen of CL, so down the line I can use my own birds to introduce new blood to each other.

I would love to hear comments on the Rees line and pics would be even better
big_smile.png

This is my legbar pullet, Nugget. She's 18 weeks now so I'm anxiously awaiting pretty blue eggs. These photographs were only taken about 10 days apart. Her wattle and comb seemed to come in almost overnight. She has quite a bit of gold around her face, which I understand is considered undesirable, but I think it's pretty. I actually don't care for the super-bland cream that everyone is shooting for. She's not going to be bred anyway.

I expect that she'll be laying within the next 4 weeks or so. Did everyone else's legbars start laying around 22 weeks, or am I jumping the gun?

I have 2 pullets that are 22 weeks; one started laying last week (and has layed 5 out of 6 days!) and the other hasn't yet. Should be soon for you!

This is Korra, my favorite cream legbar. She's the friendliest and seems to be the only one growing a crest. I'm guessing her coloring isn't up to standard...? My 5 cream legbars hatched 06/14/14

Here's she's in the center with my other chickens.

Last edited:

This is Korra, my favorite cream legbar. She's the friendliest and seems to be the only one growing a crest. I'm guessing her coloring isn't up to standard...? My 5 cream legbars hatched 06/14/14

Here's she's in the center with my other chickens.

Thank you for sharing! In terms of color most of us have gone to encouraging others to breed to their best understanding and interpretation of the standard. Now describing our own birds may be a different story ;) looks like Korra is growing into a lovely rounded breast shape! And I really like her tail!

Last edited:
Yes he has a small crest. I know because it look almost exactly like my Hugger, and crossed with white leghorns (no crest) I got crested offspring.

Cutie! Yes she is gold on the neck, but hopefully you get pretty blue eggs from her! Consensus seems to be average point of lay is 24 weeks +- 2 weeks. She's not quite red enough yet to be about to lay, but definitely getting there! The last place to redden up seems to be the area around the eyes. If you pick her up and lay her across your forearm, with her chest nestled in your elbow, your fingers will naturally rest just under her tail- feel for her "hip bones (pelvis)." When they are 1 or 2 fingers apart she is not laying. When they start spreading to about 3 fingers apart eggs are any day!

See the redness around the eye here? This is a laying hen.

Very nice hen

I have 2 pullets that are 22 weeks; one started laying last week (and has layed 5 out of 6 days!) and the other hasn't yet. Should be soon for you!

My legbars took a little time before they layed but the eggs on these birds are robin color blue and large. Love this breed!!!!

Male or female?

GFF birds. Hatched four 6 weeks ago. One was a little indeterminate but was assured she was female (had v on head). I Don't plan to breed him or her, don't worry! But curious.

S/he has barring on her back. Bigger comb than two girls but smaller than male. Very small bird in general. Smaller than two females.

Alone

With male

With male and female

With male two days ( chick in question on right)

With male and females three days ( chick in question in bottom right corner)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom