Cream Legbars

Maybe @KPenley
 will pop in.  Although he is clearly not correct in every respect for the SOP (of either country), I do think his hackle and saddle are cream, especially when you can see it up against the white of his wings.  I'm ready to :oops:  if @KPenley
 has better insights :)

While the pea comb of the Ameraucana is closely tied to the blue egg gene, the single comb is not.  It would take 6 to 7 months from now to find out what his offspring are laying to know if he has the blue eggshell gene.  And it would be helpful if the hens were white egg layers or specifically "Cream Legbars" that have a nice blue egg.  If you have nice looking CL hens for him, then you could also see what happens with the feathers; I know he's not a good choice for a reliable gene pool, but he is an interesting choice =)

Added to say - I keep both feeders up all the time.  The rooster usually eats the low calcium crumble and the girls go back and forth.  If you have a chance to compare the nutritional list of the micro pellets with your normal layer, just look for a lower calcium content (really low) and a higher protein content (about 20% plus or minus).  The main reason I use a crumble vs another pellet is so I can tell them apart =) 

I'm stumped. The head, hackles, saddle and tail are pretty correct. The darker barred areas are diluted. Dr E. thinks that there may be a line with the allele Di (Dilute) that usually is associated with Buff or even some Silver breeds. Perhaps in this guy's past there was a cross that introduced Di to his gene pool.

This is Cas 13 (3 pics) weeks and has the wry tail going to the right

3 Tail is not smashed on chair its over the arm

My older girl Faile just turning a year

Top view same bird

Henry next 3 Pics slightly less wry tail and sometimes holds it straight 13 weeks

Robin my brown/gold girl 13 weeks

Along with the 3 just hatched chicks these are my starting birds.

Several members of my family are visiting Hawaii right now. Apparently Hawaii has a large feral chicken population. They all know that I have chickens but don't really know much about them.

My Aunt sent me this picture of a hen and her chicks and I was surprised how much she looks like a Cream Legbar! She clearly has other breeds going on but lots of similarities too.

GFF= Green Fire Farms

Blue egg gene should breed through with Gold Legbars which should lay white on their own might lighten the blue in some cases so hard to tell with  the roo if he is carrying brown genes too.
Some of the CLB lay a greenish egg so results with the cross may vary. 
interesting. They carry some nice breeds.
Ive just let the rooster out hes a 5:30 crower... i let two hens out with him to see if hes working.... no action but two coo's. Think ill ring and try to arrange a different roo. I was expecting him to jump the hens...

Several members of my family are visiting Hawaii right now. Apparently Hawaii has a large feral chicken population. They all know that I have chickens but don't really know much about them.

My Aunt sent me this picture of a hen and her chicks and I was surprised how much she looks like a Cream Legbar! She clearly has other breeds going on but lots of similarities too.
Brown leghorns or gold legbars look very similar too and are fairly common. Im not seeing barring or crest at the moment but maybe its there.

I was out taking pictures with the breeding flock tonight. This is my broody. She is on Day 18 and has 5 eggs under her. I separated an area for her using feed bags so she gets some privacy for the last 3 days. I don't have very good luck with broodies. She is hanging in there though.

Here is my current rooster Marcus. I am hoping to get some sons that have straighter combs. I have one that has a large crest and the beginning of a twisted comb, and one with a much smaller crest and his comb so far is straight.

Some of my girls are large like the girl on the right. They have really floppy combs.

And some of the others have straight upright combs.

I have 6 cream girls in this pen and the broody,

I have some chicks growing out. I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow.

I'm stumped. The head, hackles, saddle and tail are pretty correct. The darker barred areas are diluted. Dr E. thinks that there may be a line with the allele Di (Dilute) that usually is associated with Buff or even some Silver breeds. Perhaps in this guy's past there was a cross that introduced Di to his gene pool.
Also as someone pointed out the Columbian restrictors would cause lightening in the white areas of that bird.

ETA - From Henk's chicken info on the web:
Columbian like black-restriction:

Next to the black boosting system there is a counteracting mechanism. Best known is the so called Columbian factor symbol Co.
zwartgoudcolumbia.JPG
Columbian chickens are more groundcolored looking.
Mzwartgoudcolumbia.JPG
For roosters the most obvious effect is that breast and wingbands are not black but groundcolor. The groundcolor is also more even. The hen loses the salmon breast coloring by this effect and becomes more warm in groundcolor. Her black pattern is restricted to her back and saddle, if not further towards the tail. These colors are better camouflage for sandy terrains. Chickens are originally jungle fowl. The dimorphism between rooster and hen is much less, and a lot of uniform patterns on groundcolor are columbian based. Columbian is not just a black restrictor, it also shifts black pigment. Hens with columbian get a tail that is more black and with more green sheen.
zwartzilvercolumbia.JPG
Columbian inhibits red expression on silver groundcolor. It has more effect on males than females, especially their backs and saddles. Next to columbian there is another restrictor called"Darkbrown" Db, a confusing name for it is the effect on black chickdown that it refers to. This gene is more effective on males also and has even less effect on restricting backpattern of females. Red inhibition is also less. The gene does have restricting effects for chickens based on "extended black" or "birchen"; columbian alone does not. A few other genes are said to have a mild columbian like restriction effect like red enhancer Mahogany Mh. Columbian and Darkbrown influence a lot of complex patterns also.

Last edited:
I was out taking pictures with the breeding flock tonight. This is my broody. She is on Day 18 and has 5 eggs under her. I separated an area for her using feed bags so she gets some privacy for the last 3 days. I don't have very good luck with broodies. She is hanging in there though.

Here is my current rooster Marcus. I am hoping to get some sons that have straighter combs. I have one that has a large crest and the beginning of a twisted comb, and one with a much smaller crest and his comb so far is straight.

Some of my girls are large like the girl on the right. They have really floppy combs.

And some of the others have straight upright combs.

I have 6 cream girls in this pen and the broody,

I have some chicks growing out. I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow.
Thanks for posting pictures, it is so neat to see everyone's flocks - and on line -- no biosecurity threats or the visit. In the 2nd pict. the two on the left have hackels with very little black pigment - the one in the foreground shows more dark feathering in the hackles. Do you see any other differences in the comparison of their color expression such as different shades of salmon - or differences in crests?

@ Flaming Chicken, thank you for sharing pics of your birds! Since the hens are equally influential to the offsprings' combs I hope some of those beautiful girls produce the cockerel combs you are breeding towards this year. Massaging the combs regularly during development can help a bit in minimizing curves in the blade.

Back
Top Bottom