Cream Legbars

The little guy is my 5yr old son Logan. He offered to hold as I was having a hard time keeping him out on my arm for pics. Logan loves watching them hatch and calls all baby chicks his cuties. We just went and bought his first chickens for him. A silver Ameraucana rooster who he named Hawkeye, and a silver Am cross pullet we named Crazy Cora. I figured he would really like these CL's as he has always been fond of crested birds. I'm sure because they were the easiest for him to recognize. All my blue chickens probably look alike to him. He's a good kid. Right now he's all about incubating. Looks like we will have to shop around for a silver hen or two. It starts...

Last edited:
The little guy is my 5yr old son Logan. He offered to hold as I was having a hard time keeping him out on my arm for pics. Logan loves watching them hatch and calls all baby chicks his cuties. We just went and bought his first chickens for him. A silver Ameraucana rooster who he named Hawkeye, and a silver Am cross pullet we named Crazy Cora. I figured he would really like these CL's as he has always been fond of crested birds. I'm sure because they were the easiest for him to recognize. All my blue chickens probably look alike to him. He's a good kid. Right now he's all about incubating. Looks like we will have to shop around for a silver hen or two. It starts...
That is great he wants to get involved. My son who is also a Logan is a champion chicken catcher. At 13 he is starting to learn the basics of genetics and wants to help me pick my breeding pairs. I will let him pick a pair and see how his decisions work.
wink.png

According to the paper I have this hen was shown by Aubrie Caldwell. I did not see any CLs in the English class. They may have been there and I missed them. But the card clearly shows this bird was shown in the Continental class.
Yep...I worked with the Caldwell girls on the Cream Legars. They are a great Family.
thumbsup.gif

They started on the Cream Legbars as part of a 4H Cream Legbar project in the Spring of 2014. They were required to show at the Texas State Fair in the Fall of 2014 and at the Fancy Feathers 4H Poultry show in the Spring of 2015 as part of the 4H project. I travled 4 hours to the Texas State Fair to support them where they won Best of Breed out of the 30 CLB entries. I wasn't able to make it to the Fancy Feathers Show this year but I think they won best of breed there with a different hen out of a much smaller showing. I am happy to see they are still showing there Cream Legbars.

I have a CCL pullet in my large rainbow flock. I'm very curious to know if CCLs have a reputation for making the STRANGEST noises??? Without being too crass, her voice is very obviously...well...FLATULENT sounding! A relative of mine has a CCL pullet that makes the same sounds. I have over 20 chicken breeds, and my CCL is the ONLY one that does this. I find it to be a rather comical and endearing quality...CERTAINLY unique! Just curious if others have had similar experiences. Perhaps Punnett was more of a genius than originally thought...

Last edited:
I'm also wondering if anyone had info on CLs from Papa's Poultry. There's a person on my local-ish chicken group that was asking for CL advice and he was thinking of getting them from there.
I realize this post is oldish but I haven't caught up with the thread yet. I bought two CLB pullets from Papa's Poultry this fall. One is cream and one is gold. They both have nice crests. Neither are laying yet. I can probably post pictures of them if I find this is still relevant when I get to the end of the thread :)

I realize this post is oldish but I haven't caught up with the thread yet. I bought two CLB pullets from Papa's Poultry this fall. One is cream and one is gold. They both have nice crests. Neither are laying yet. I can probably post pictures of them if I find this is still relevant when I get to the end of the thread :)
For whatever it's worth, my CCL pullet has a very different coloration from my relative's, in spite of the fact they came from the same source. However, BOTH have STRANGE voices. The first pic is of my pullet; the second of my relative's.

Perhaps someone more experienced can tell you if what you're seeing in your pullets is "normal."

I have a CCL pullet in my large rainbow flock. I'm very curious to know if CCLs have a reputation for making the STRANGEST noises??? Without being too crass, her voice is very obviously...well...FLATULENT sounding! A relative of mine has a CCL pullet that makes the same sounds. I have over 20 chicken breeds, and my CCL is the ONLY one that does this. I find it to be a rather comical and endearing quality...CERTAINLY unique! Just curious if others have had similar experiences. Perhaps Punnett was more of a genius than originally thought...

Well, I'm convinced that one of mine is trying her hand at forming a punk rock band. Weird, loud obnoxious noises? Yes. (But they're amusing...)

- Ant Farm

For whatever it's worth, my CCL pullet has a very different coloration from my relative's, in spite of the fact they came from the same source. However, BOTH have STRANGE voices. The first pic is of my pullet; the second of my relative's. Perhaps someone more experienced can tell you if what you're seeing in your pullets is "normal."
I can't tell if this is directed at me or is more general but I was just responding with my input on Papa's Poultry. I didn't have a question.

Back
Top Bottom