Cream Legbars

They are hatched from eBay eggs so there are no real assurances of anything. I'll see how they develop!
Depending on your plans for them they may turn out to be nice blue egg layers. Just keep in mind that they most likely aren't pure and shouldn't be advertised that way in the future. Doesn't mean they won't make fine layers and good chickens.

If it were me, I would inform the seller that these chicks aren't what they believe them to be. Might help them to improve their stock or at least think twice about selling them as pure. Enjoy your chicks, they look nice and healthy. If you stick around I would be interested to see how they turn out!

I will keep posting pictures of them if you'd like. I'm sure they will lay some kind of exciting egg colour as they all hatched from blue green eggs. When I received the eggs, I was expecting blue, so I had some doubts then, but having read more green seems acceptable. Anyway, I will be happy to have some colourful eggs, I would like to be able to sex them though, that is a shame. I am enjoying them as different to my other chicks, they are my only light breed (whatever that may be or not be) and having them flutter around daintily is nice.

Here are a couple of quick shots of my boy and the girl I have his lobes are mostly red for some reason.

He is so sweet though.
The pics aren't too good because they were all interested in feeding ill get some better soon
you can kind of gauge their size by the hatchery buff orps and delawares around.

The barred girl here is a holland who lays white Im going to separate here and the Girl and EE's in the pen with the boy for blue egg project

I just wanted to show off my little "boy or girl" I hatched yesterday.

These are the ones I kept the rest have been sold already.

This is the second white one this year, the first was weak and had bad legs, dying within 2 days.

This one seem real healthy..

I took the picture in a semi-dark room with no flash on my IPhone he looks more grey than he really is.

These chicks were sold to me as pullet cream crested leg bars. Originally thought I was buying three day old chicks, when I arrived was told I was "lucky" and they were "older". Not sure why that's lucky but ok whatever. Can anyone tell me if they look like pullets for sure? Head color is a little light maybe. Also, guess on the age? I was thinking maybe 2 weeks.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
These chicks were sold to me as pullet cream crested leg bars. Originally thought I was buying three day old chicks, when I arrived was told I was "lucky" and they were "older". Not sure why that's lucky but ok whatever. Can anyone tell me if they look like pullets for sure? Head color is a little light maybe. Also, guess on the age? I was thinking maybe 2 weeks.

[/URL]

They sure look like girls to me!!

I have some hatched Jan 24th and 31st that appear to be same size and development as your are..

[/URL]

In agreement with daluthralphie that you have pullets.
The real distinguisher is a definite V on the front of the female's head paired with dorsal stripes...that we call 'chipmunk stripes' -- A male will have a light 'blotch' that goes outside the distinct V and may or may not have dorsal stripes......
Congrats on getting CLs.

These chicks were hatched Valentine's Day-- and the wing feathers are beginning to completely obscure the dorsal stripes, but both of these CL males had distinct dorsal stripes (possibly they have the silver gene - because the stripes are very silvery-gray=== silver may be in my flock as a split S/s+ cockerel)
The blue chick is an Isbar. Notice how different the male white/light head splotch is from the female's when the female has white head spot it is small, frosted and doesn't go outside the V on the head from my experience with CLs.

Top pict, middle chick you can see the dorsal stripe beneath the wing - also shows his white head splotch distinctly. In the lower phot where he faces the camera, his white head spot is just on top of his head and more difficult to view.
:O)

ETA one other thing, the female doesn't seem to have a light ring right next to the eye like males, the 'eyeliner' for female is dark next to the eyes and more continuous to my eye.

Last edited:
In agreement with daluthralphie that you have pullets.
The real distinguisher is a definite V on the front of the female's head paired with dorsal stripes...that we call 'chipmunk stripes' -- A male will have a light 'blotch' that goes outside the distinct V and may or may not have dorsal stripes......
Congrats on getting CLs.

In my opinion, the "real distinguisher" is the overall coloring, especially at this stage. I find I don't always trust the lack of large headspot and wait a few days for the first feathers to emerge. The males have much more white on the primaries, even at 4 or 5 days of age. I should just trust my judgement by now because the size of headspot and lack of stripes has never failed yet, but for any that are not clearly sexable at hatch, I still wait to check the first feathers before selling them as pullets. I just hate being wrong . . .

In my opinion, the "real distinguisher" is the overall coloring, especially at this stage. I find I don't always trust the lack of large headspot and wait a few days for the first feathers to emerge. The males have much more white on the primaries, even at 4 or 5 days of age. I should just trust my judgement by now because the size of headspot and lack of stripes has never failed yet, but for any that are not clearly sexable at hatch, I still wait to check the first feathers before selling them as pullets. I just hate being wrong . . .
One of the advantages of CLs is that they are autosexing (at hatch time) --

ETA - it may be very much a 'to each his own' approach. Some strains do have a different approach, but to have to wait 4-5 days would not be my choice in autosexing.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom