Cream Legbars

Hoping to see more of his cream come through too. It's going to be a long haul, but worth it I think.
I recently lost all of my adult chickens including my cream legbars. This included my pure cream girl and my best cockerel. Hopefully, the chicks that I had prior to the loss and hatched since will test clean and I can go forward. Some of these young ones are showing very good colors and temperaments. The State vet tech is coming tomorrow afternoon so I will get some final testing done and be clear of the blight that two asymptomatic birds that were added to my flock after a 3-4 week quarantine caused.

So I am hoping that those good genes and colors were passed along.

@lonnyandrinda our Great Dane ate three of my Cochin pullets when he was between 5 and 7 months old. I was devastated, thinking we had taught him well enough, and then he'd eat or scare another one. We finally got a static shock collar, and over a month trained him to just stay away. No barn, no chicken run with the other dogs, and not within five feet of a chicken. We would sit in the house, and watch through the window, and do the same thing, shock if he went anywhere he wasn't supposed to. He's a year old now, and while I won't leave him out all day like the Boston's, he does very well on his own while we're outside.
I'm hoping as he gets older, and the Great Dane calm really kicks in, he'll be even better. We noticed early on that it was the babies that got him going, running in front of his face.
So sorry about your pullet. Yikes on that picture too...painful to look at.

I recently lost all of my adult chickens including my cream legbars. This included my pure cream girl and my best cockerel. Hopefully, the chicks that I had prior to the loss and hatched since will test clean and I can go forward. Some of these young ones are showing very good colors and temperaments. The State vet tech is coming tomorrow afternoon so I will get some final testing done and be clear of the blight that two asymptomatic birds that were added to my flock after a 3-4 week quarantine caused.

So I am hoping that those good genes and colors were passed along.

Still hurts my heart to hear about this!
fl.gif
for lots of pretty babies!

Rinda and Tony, I am so sorry to hear about your CL misfortunes. Our LGD (14 months old) insists on playing with one of our Silkie roosters. They are in the pasture with him, but in topless PVC tractors. The girls and youngsters stay put but that stupid rooster insists on flying onto the bar where the LGD grabs him. He doesn't hurt the biird, just mouths him and slobbers all over him. I found the rooster wet and chilled during the winter at least four times. Unfortunately it takes awhile for things to click with LGD --- usually around 2 years before they really get it.

Tony, It's great that you still have chicks. It's really hard to start over but you didn't lose any progress you've made.

It's hard to resist temptation, but I decided last year that I'm going to maintain a "closed" flock. The only new arrivals are hatching eggs and day old chicks from NPIP AI clean folks like us. Of course there are diseases not tested for, but I figure day olds and hatching eggs should be fairly safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom