Created a water saver for my duck brooder

Cool idea using the drawer! I hadn't thought of that with mine. It's wood framed.

That should transition to the coop too later on. OOOoo! Design the coop to have a flap on the bottom for external access to the indoor water drawer! No moving shavings out of the way to get it!
Mandelyn, if you haven't built your coop yet and want to have water inside of it, you can frame a section of floor and directly install hardware cloth to it so the water drains away straight to the ground below. No try needed to be dumped. We don't offer water in the night time shelters for adults. They have it outside only to keep the mess to a minimum.

Cool idea using the drawer! I hadn't thought of that with mine. It's wood framed.

That should transition to the coop too later on. OOOoo! Design the coop to have a flap on the bottom for external access to the indoor water drawer! No moving shavings out of the way to get it!

Quote:
Mandelyn, if you haven't built your coop yet and want to have water inside of it, you can frame a section of floor and directly install hardware cloth to it so the water drains away straight to the ground below. No try needed to be dumped. We don't offer water in the night time shelters for adults. They have it outside only to keep the mess to a minimum.

Brilliant ideas, both of you! We are in the process of building the coop right now and after hearing these ideas, I will be doing that - for sure!

GREAT! Going down to the shop right now. Once again hoarding pays off. I have everything I need.
smile.png

I'm not a fan of the food/water mixture they make that attracts bugs, so I'm not sure I want it going to the ground right below. I even tried moving the food far away from the water, and they just run with it back to the water. LOL The drawer is handy because you can take it out into the grass and dump it in the sun, where it will dry fast. Different spot every time, no build up.

We already have a coop, but no harm in planning the next one.
lol.png

I don't know if it will work with ducks, but my chicks were making a mess by kicking shavings into the waterer so I put the waterer on a metal cookie pan a little bigger than the bottom of the waterer (quart sized mason jar) they could still reach it, but no more shavings in the water.

Back
Top Bottom