Created a water saver for my duck brooder

Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas everyone! I have my second hatch of Anconas in the bator right now and the only thing I have been dreading is the mess they make! I came up with a few solutions for the problem last year that were similar but not as successful as this one seems to be. I will be building this for sure this week!

I add some larger rocks (you could use large marbles) to the water so that they can't splash so much and makes the water last a little longer. (Just make sure they are too big for them to swallow.)

Freaking genius!!! Thank you! You just saved my ducks from being banned to the cold garage. I can't wait to run out tomorrow for one of these!

Well my brooder isn't big enough for that big a drawer, but I might can use a smaller rubbermade box and do the same thing with it in my brooder. Great idea!

Glad you were able to get an idea from this. Perhaps a broiler pan (the kind with a top and bottom) covered with a washcloth, sit the waterer on top of that.

This morning I put a 9x13 cake pan in there with a puppy pad in bottom then pine shavings and set the wetter and food in that. Somehow they still seem to hve made a mess. And they were having fun playing tug if war with the puppy pad! I may take puppy pad out and just put pine shavings or get some cheap cheap hand towels and use that.

I kept a spring-type thermometer in the brooder so I could check temperature. 90˚F the first week, dropping 5 degrees a week. And make sure there are parts of the brooder that are a little cooler just in case, because some ducklings don't need it quite so warm.

A broiler pan works great. put the water on top, it is low so even little ducklings can get on top. Catches and holds all the water. Then take it out and dump!

Back
Top Bottom