Crele color

Quote:
Where is the idea coming from that partridge Cochins of either size don't have the colored secondaries that give them the wing bay? Partidge is a darker, richer color than a typical red duckwing (bb red) but the pattern is still there along with the hackle striping etc.. Both sexes have some characteristics re. color that would provide some challenges but lack of a wing bay isn't one of them.

Pleeeeaaase please please work on it in LF too?
fl.gif

I have at least a pair (hopefully trio?) of LF partridges growing up. Won't know much about their quality until they're adults, but I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited:
It is a very common problem with the term crele being applied to any barred/cuckoo showing any color other than black/white.. as the pictures shown here are proof of. Those cochins are actually barred leaky blacks or barred gold birchens. The hen versions of these same birds would either look same as regular barred/cuckoo, either with or without some buff edging on on the breast.

A very good rule to tell if a bird is crele or not is if the breed or the person working with them have any e+ birds(aka red duckwing or black breasted red). If not, chances are extremely high they are NOT crele. Barred-somethingelse instead.

Crele chicks always hatch in a slightly diluted red duckwing chimpunk chick down. If the chicks hatch out black with white head spot, then they are same as those so called crele cochins shown above.

The crele brahma looks possibly barred partridge, not a barred duckwing to me. Seeing hens would help. That's another big clue- crele hens are always red duckwing.. crele partridge hens tend to be pretty dark and lack the salmon breast.

One other way to get pretty close to crele is on wheaten. Barred wheaten barely looks different from a true crele rooster.. hens however are plainly different.

Barring over partridge, wheaten or gold birchens can be beautiful birds, but in no way are any of them "crele". They are barred partridge, barred wheaten and barred birchen, respectively. It's like calling a light brahma a "White Brahma".. hey, they are mostly white, so.... Not many would make or accept that naming mistake.. but for some reason it's so rampantly done with the crele name.

I do have to wonder if people would not get so excited over "barred gold birchen" than if the same birds were advertised as "crele breedX". I'm aware of some people who seem to be doing pretty good egg sales by labeling their very mixed color birds as "Crele X". What's more exciting: Crele X or Mixed color X?

Looks like he may be crele. Seems to have a beard though? Leghorns aren't supposed to have beards.. and supposed to have yellow legs too. You can make creles using him anyways.. would be pretty easy with leghorns- put him over Light Brown(which is red duckwing) leghorn hens and you will get half crele chicks in both sexes(he also seems to have only dose of barring). Or any red duckwing hen..

Last edited:
You need the wild-type coloring (found in brown leghorns, red junglefowl, etc.) and barred coloring (found in barred rocks, barred leghorns, Dominique, etc.) or you could use preexisting crele chickens such as Crele old English game bantams, crele orpington, etc.

Back
Top Bottom