Jun 2, 2023
Hi y’all! I’m working on starting an olive/ Easter egger project. Would love to see photos of everyone’s blue or green layers and the crosses used create these wonderful birds!!
Definitely most interested in trying to find a balance in variety of physical color as well as egg color.

Standard or Bantam? I always wanted to make my own Bantam Oliver eggers. I had a roo long ago, but no hens. It is fun to get those olive eggs. Is there a type or color of chicken you prefer?

Standard or Bantam? I always wanted to make my own Bantam Oliver eggers. I had a roo long ago, but no hens. It is fun to get those olive eggs. Is there a type or color of chicken you prefer?
Im leaning towards standards as I’d love a prolific layer mix. I already have bantams(silkies and Cochins) and I love them to pieces but they’re definitely not great layers lol.
I’ve always been partial to BBS birds. Call me Cruella bc I’m obsessed with spots😂❤️ Ermine Ameraucanas are my absolute favorite and a goal of mine to own someday. As far as the project goes, mostly just trying to avoid plain reds and blacks.

Im leaning towards standards as I’d love a prolific layer mix. I already have bantams(silkies and Cochins) and I love them to pieces but they’re definitely not great layers lol.
I’ve always been partial to BBS birds. Call me Cruella bc I’m obsessed with spots😂❤️ Ermine Ameraucanas are my absolute favorite and a goal of mine to own someday. As far as the project goes, mostly just trying to avoid plain reds and blacks.
I love BBS birds too. I'm also obsessed with chocolates.

I have some Bantam EE and they lay pretty well as far as bantams go.

I've had a few hatchery olive eggers but wasn't too impressed by their looks, or laying abilities. Most are created by using lazy laying breeds like marans. Hopefully someone else shares theirs. They are always interesting looking birds.

I love BBS birds too. I'm also obsessed with chocolates.

I have some Bantam EE and they lay pretty well as far as bantams go.

I've had a few hatchery olive eggers but wasn't too impressed by their looks, or laying abilities. Most are created by using lazy laying breeds like marans. Hopefully someone else shares theirs. They are always interesting looking birds.
Ahh i love chocolates too! I just got some chocolate silkies and will be picking up some chocolate Orpingtons this month as well! Included some pics of the silkies❤️
And yes I definitely didn’t want to buy hatchery birds as I’ve also found they are lazy lol. I was thinking of using whiting true blues after reading their prolific layers and come in a variety of colors. Possibly with welsummers or blue copper marans. But I definitely want to also use a breed with beards or muffs. They’re one of my favorite features a bird can have.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    508 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3609.jpeg
    IMG_3609.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
Ahh i love chocolates too! I just got some chocolate silkies and will be picking up some chocolate Orpingtons this month as well! Included some pics of the silkies❤️
And yes I definitely didn’t want to buy hatchery birds as I’ve also found they are lazy lol. I was thinking of using whiting true blues after reading their prolific layers and come in a variety of colors. Possibly with welsummers or blue copper marans. But I definitely want to also use a breed with beards or muffs. They’re one of my favorite features a bird can have.
Those are some adorable chicks. I think I found a new love. :love Thankfully I don't want to keep silkies anymore. I do have some chocolate Orpingtons in my order coming in July. I couldn't resist adding them to my mostly BBS large fowl Cochin order. Maybe even trying to mix them in the future. I know nothing about genetics, but can dream I would get chocolate splash out of the pairing.

Those are some adorable chicks. I think I found a new love. :love Thankfully I don't want to keep silkies anymore. I do have some chocolate Orpingtons in my order coming in July. I couldn't resist adding them to my mostly BBS large fowl Cochin order. Maybe even trying to mix them in the future. I know nothing about genetics, but can dream I would get chocolate splash out of the pairing.
Yes!! I already have lavender Orpingtons and in the future I’d love to have blues too! I can’t wait to play around with their colors. Chocolate splash would be incredible😍

I don’t know how my chicks were bred or even for sure which are OE. I thought I had a Black Australorp but was just set straight in another thread. That member said she is an EE, not Black Australorp. I’m leaning toward Olive Egger. They are new to laying and we have more brown eggs than expected, so we are definitely confused at this point 😆
I think they are all pretty, though! The list is all of the chicks that the hatchery offers, so may offer a clue to parentage. The pic of eggs includes a bantam Easter egg (tiny bluish egg) and a Golden Buff (big pale egg). I started a thread in another thread to try to figure out what my black hen might be.

Attachments

• IMG_7067.jpeg
    IMG_7067.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7064.jpeg
    IMG_7064.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7060.png
    IMG_7060.png
    475.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg