Difference in Easter Egger vs Olive Egger

How often do chicks that develop greenish legs become EE's. Most of our chicks have yellow legs, but a couple have green tinge to the yellow.
Last year, we had a mystery chick and it's legs went green, and, sure enough it ended up being an EE. It's over a year old now, and it's legs are black, but before it began laying, they were green tinted for sure.
I know the chicks that I have, MIGHT have some EE genes in them... They are barnyard mixes.

Ok this is helpful. I’m getting EE from Privett but not sure what their dark layer is
Privett's dark layer in OE is Cuckoo Maran. For EE, I'm not positive what dark layer they use either. I might chat with them to find out. But I've been getting both OE and EE from them for many years and they're both awesome. The EE's are always the chipmunk look with Ameraucana head. I also get Creme Legbars from them. I have a CCL that just turned 5 and is still laying beautiful blue eggs. I'm really pleased with Privett quality!! Their OE's are always more cuckoo maran looking.... Have fun!! I've worked hard to get a rainbow of eggs from a rainbow of chickens :love

Privett's dark layer in OE is Cuckoo Maran. For EE, I'm not positive what dark layer they use either. I might chat with them to find out. But I've been getting both OE and EE from them for many years and they're both awesome. The EE's are always the chipmunk look with Ameraucana head. I also get Creme Legbars from them. I have a CCL that just turned 5 and is still laying beautiful blue eggs. I'm really pleased with Privett quality!! Their OE's are always more cuckoo maran looking.... Have fun!! I've worked hard to get a rainbow of eggs from a rainbow of chickens :love
Ok I’m glad to hear positive things!! My OE are from TSC and they also look a lot like marans. So oddly enough when I called to get info on the dark layer they said their Easter eggers are not crossed with anything lol. Maybe I’ll call again to get a different person and see what info I can get. I’d love to find some speckled egg layers or marans in the future:)

Ok I’m glad to hear positive things!! My OE are from TSC and they also look a lot like marans. So oddly enough when I called to get info on the dark layer they said their Easter eggers are not crossed with anything lol. Maybe I’ll call again to get a different person and see what info I can get. I’d love to find some speckled egg layers or marans in the future:)
TSC uses Hoovers... This is in the OE description on Hoovers website: Our Olive Eggers come from a couple of different crosses. We have one line that is a cross of Americanas and French Cuckoo Marans. With this hybrid, most of the females will be black but a few will come out blue. We also have another cross that is between Legbars and Welsummers,

How often do chicks that develop greenish legs become EE's. Most of our chicks have yellow legs, but a couple have green tinge to the yellow.
Last year, we had a mystery chick and it's legs went green, and, sure enough it ended up being an EE. It's over a year old now, and it's legs are black, but before it began laying, they were green tinted for sure.
I know the chicks that I have, MIGHT have some EE genes in them... They are barnyard mixes.
They don't become EEs. EEs are any mixed bird that has a blue layer somewhere in the background

They don't become EEs. EEs are any mixed bird that has a blue layer somewhere in the background
Right, but EE's aren't easy to recognize by looking at them... most of the time you won't know until they lay their first egg. There are tells at different stages of life. I know about the ear coloring, but I wasn't sure if the leg coloring in juveniles was common, or a hit and miss observation. The barnyard mix I have was from barred rocks, buff orpingtons and EE's...

Right, but EE's aren't easy to recognize by looking at them... most of the time you won't know until they lay their first egg. There are tells at different stages of life. I know about the ear coloring, but I wasn't sure if the leg coloring in juveniles was common, or a hit and miss observation. The barnyard mix I have was from barred rocks, buff orpingtons and EE's...
Ear coloring means nothing either. There literally isn't anyrhing that is solely an EE trait. I could claim that nearly any one of my mixes is an EE if I wanted and I would be right becuse of their background.

TSC uses Hoovers... This is in the OE description on Hoovers website: Our Olive Eggers come from a couple of different crosses. We have one line that is a cross of Americanas and French Cuckoo Marans. With this hybrid, most of the females will be black but a few will come out blue. We also have another cross that is between Legbars and Welsummers,
Oh thank you for sending! They are black with some blue barring. They aren’t laying yet tho so we will see! They appear to l marans hybrids but I’m definitely not an expert.

Back
Top Bottom