I don’t know how my chicks were bred or even for sure which are OE. I thought I had a Black Australorp but was just set straight in another thread. That member said she is an EE, not Black Australorp. I’m leaning toward Olive Egger. They are new to laying and we have more brown eggs than expected, so we are definitely confused at this point 😆
I think they are all pretty, though! The list is all of the chicks that the hatchery offers, so may offer a clue to parentage. The pic of eggs includes a bantam Easter egg (tiny bluish egg) and a Golden Buff (big pale egg). I started a thread in another thread to try to figure out what my black hen might be.
Black hen look like an EE or OE to me, the cheeks tell you she has Americana or some other breed with muffs in her and possibly black copper maran which would explain why she’s solid black, however there are solid black Americanas so who knows really. Knowing exactly what color she lays would help tho. EE can occasionally lay brown eggs as well, egg color genetics can be finicky.

All questions aside she is stunning and so are the rest of your birds! I’m such a sucker for muffs😂❤️

Thank you! I think they are all beautiful and have such a variety of personalities. Juliet, the black one, likes to untie shoe laces! I’m glad the Olive Eggers are laying two shades of brown, plus olive. Otherwise I’d have A LOT of olive eggs!! The two bantams are definitely both laying bluish green. It’s amazing how different the Olive Eggers can look from the same hatch! I love it.
I am going to see if I paid more for the supposed Chocolate Orpington or Black Australorp! They can give me a discount on my next haul of garden plants 😉

Hi y’all! I’m working on starting an olive/ Easter egger project. Would love to see photos of everyone’s blue or green layers and the crosses used create these wonderful birds!!
Definitely most interested in trying to find a balance in variety of physical color as well as egg color.
I have a F2 White Splash Marans hen that lays a bronze colored egg with a green interior shell. She came from a French marans hen and a opal legbar roo. Now going backwards, my Splash Marans crossed with my 55 Flowery roo, gave a daughter(all black feathers) and she lays a dark green egg. Then I crossed her with the same 55 Flowery roo and her daughter(black barred) lays a lighter green egg. The daughters got mamas beard, comb and a little feathering on legs. What a difference in feathering and eggs.

I have a F2 White Splash Marans hen that lays a bronze colored egg with a green interior shell. She came from a French marans hen and a opal legbar roo. Now going backwards, my Splash Marans crossed with my 55 Flowery roo, gave a daughter(all black feathers) and she lays a dark green egg. Then I crossed her with the same 55 Flowery roo and her daughter(black barred) lays a lighter green egg. The daughters got mamas beard, comb and a little feathering on legs. What a difference in feathering and eggs.

:):)Thanks for the likes and I will add photo soon. In the meantime you can see photos in my Facebook, Country Gals Farmette.

:):)Thanks for the likes and I will add photo soon. In the meantime you can see photos in my Facebook, Country Gals Farmette.
I would love to see photos! I will definitely check out your page😊 I’ve narrowed down the breeds I’d like to use for my projects, I’m thinking blue copper maran rooster covering true Ameraucana and whiting true blue hens. Possibly adding a welsummer hen for speckling. I would like to focus on BBS colorings for a majority of the offspring.

I have an olive egger roo, 3 yrs old, I keep trying to get a hen because I want those olive eggs but we keep getting roosters 😫 But I'm glad I got him. I'm not sure what he is a cross of but he is the most kindest gentleman to his girls. Got him from a local breeder. Oh, and his name is Benny.
20230703_161207.jpg
20230703_161330.jpg

He literally keeps getting frostbite because his comb is so big.

I have an olive egger roo, 3 yrs old, I keep trying to get a hen because I want those olive eggs but we keep getting roosters 😫 But I'm glad I got him. I'm not sure what he is a cross of but he is the most kindest gentleman to his girls. Got him from a local breeder. Oh, and his name is Benny.
View attachment 3777103View attachment 3777106

He literally keeps getting frostbite because his comb is so big.
He is sooo handsome!! I love the barring and golds!😍

Back
Top Bottom