Critically Endangered Breeds!

According to the livestock conservancy, the most endangered breeds of duck are the ancona, aylesbury, magpie, saxony, silver appleyard, and welsh harlequin. I'm not sure which out of those is the most endangered, but all of them sure could use some help conserving them!

According to the livestock conservancy, the most endangered breeds of duck are the ancona, aylesbury, magpie, saxony, silver appleyard, and welsh harlequin. I'm not sure which out of those is the most endangered, but all of them sure could use some help conserving them!
I know but its so hard to choose!

Well, as a welsh harlequin breeder, I'm a little biased, but they are an amazing breed ;) I'd say go with whichever appeals to you most. Any one of those breeds could use the help and no matter which you chose you'd be helping to preserve them.

I acquired a little flock of Ancona's recently(about 6). I don't know that they are the "most" endangered but they are an at risk breed and they are BEAUTIFUL and unlike the more uniform breeds each duck has it's own unique pattern so it's easy to tell each duck apart. They are also tough, friendly, good layers(early layers too), and even tempered(not skittish). They are everything a duck should be, but then I too may be a little biased.
wink.png

Something you don't get to really see in the pictures online is the beautiful beetle green sheen that their black feathers get. REALLY pretty. It's like they change color as they walk by you.
love.gif

I acquired a little flock of Ancona's recently(about 6). I don't know that they are the "most" endangered but they are an at risk breed and they are BEAUTIFUL and unlike the more uniform breeds each duck has it's own unique pattern so it's easy to tell each duck apart. They are also tough, friendly, good layers(early layers too), and even tempered(not skittish). They are everything a duck should be, but then I too may be a little biased.
wink.png

Something you don't get to really see in the pictures online is the beautiful beetle green sheen that their black feathers get. REALLY pretty. It's like they change color as they walk by you.
love.gif
How about some pics. I am thinking of this breed next spring..

wink.png

love.gif

Can you tell me where you found your Ancona's? That's one of a couple different duck breeds I'm trying to decide between for next year.

Back
Top Bottom