Critique my Brooder setup plus advice for delivery day

Some folks theorize they'll feather faster if exposed to cooler temps. I find they simply are hardier against temperature fluctuations.

The plate will be the main source of heat. Of course make sure it's working properly, it should be quite warm to the touch but not burning hot. You only need enough ambient heating to ensure the plate will work according to instructions, usually 50 or 60F.

I brood outdoors in late spring with a mama heating pad with temp ranges of mid 40s to mid 60s. No ambient heat (MHPs can work at lower temps). Chicks go straight from the feed store to the brooder, so around 2-3 days old. Even at that age they'll opt to spend a good amount of time away from the heat source, generally just going under it to warm up while napping, just as they would with a broody hen.

Also I'd check at how close/far the brooder plate is from the wall. If it's close (like 1/2", 1") I'd move it slightly further from the wall. Chicks are pros at finding ways to wedge themselves into tight spots. I lost one chick that got itself stuck in a gap and panicked to death.
Thanks this is helpful! I'll go ahead and raise the lamp. I had actually lowered it to try at hit that magic 95 degree number, but what your saying makes sense. I'll also move the plate more centered. I never would have thought of them getting stuck!

Also about the save a chick- should I do both the probiotic and electrolytes when they arrive?

When the chicks first arrive by mail, they need warmth first. Depending on where they're shipped from unless they've been shipped in a constant 99 degrees or so they will be cold. I actually got instructions my last batch, to heat them up to 100 at least, for an hour or so. Then down to the usual 95. Feed store chicks, have already hopefully gotten warmed up at the feed store. There was a big thing about chicks being too cool or too hot because of being shipped, getting pasty butt and the need to get them warmer than 95 for a few hours too.

When the chicks first arrive by mail, they need warmth first. Depending on where they're shipped from unless they've been shipped in a constant 99 degrees or so they will be cold. I actually got instructions my last batch, to heat them up to 100 at least, for an hour or so. Then down to the usual 95. Feed store chicks, have already hopefully gotten warmed up at the feed store. There was a big thing about chicks being too cool or too hot because of being shipped, getting pasty butt and the need to get them warmer than 95 for a few hours too.
Good point. I strictly get chicks from the feed store. Granted with the last 2 batches some chicks arrived an hour or less before I picked them up and took them home, but it was also in spring temperatures so that plays a factor.
Also about the save a chick- should I do both the probiotic and electrolytes when they arrive?
Yes, electrolytes can help with shipping stress and both additives certainly won't hurt for the first few days as they get settled. I would discontinue electrolytes after that though as they are not intended for long term or extended use.

Ive been stressing over making the area beneath the lamp 95 degrees. the brooder is so large I figure they have plenty of space to adjust their own temps, but I thought it would be too cold. Ive had the lamp off for a few hours and it's currently 76 degrees in there. I guess I thought they needed to be super warm for at least the first week or two? I worry it doesn't get warm enough under my plate.

There are two different ways to use a heat lamp.

When the heat lamp is the ONLY heat source, you need it to make one area at least 95 degrees during the first days.

When there is also a heat plate, then the heat plate is supposed to be the warm spot, and the heat lamp is to just make the rest of the area a bit warmer (probably between 60 and 80 degrees under the lamp in an area near the brooder plate.)

This will be my second brood but first time getting them by mail.
For your specific setup, I would probably do this:

For the day the chicks arrive, have the heat lamp making a warm spot next to the brooder plate, with that warm spot being 95 to 100 degrees directly under the lamp.

Put the chicks in the brooder and watch them. If they huddle under the lamp and peep, just keep watching. When they are all warm enough, they will spread out a bit, and should start to eat and drink and then take naps.

After the chicks are thoroughly warm and settled in (probably between 4 and 24 hours after they arrive), I would raise the heat lamp so the area near the brooder plate is between about 60 and 80 degrees. This will leave the brooder plate as the main place for chicks who want it even warmer. You may need to tuck them under the brooder plate several times to teach them to use it.

By the time the chicks are a week or two old, you can probably raise the heat lamp even higher, and you can probably remove the heat lamp entirely by the time they are a month old (or maybe even earlier.) This is because the brooder plate that is not "warm enough" for newly-arrived chicks will be providing enough heat for partly-feathered chicks, so it does not need the help of the heat lamp anymore. The brooder plate will get removed later, when the chicks are more thoroughly feathered.

There are two different ways to use a heat lamp.

When the heat lamp is the ONLY heat source, you need it to make one area at least 95 degrees during the first days.

When there is also a heat plate, then the heat plate is supposed to be the warm spot, and the heat lamp is to just make the rest of the area a bit warmer (probably between 60 and 80 degrees under the lamp in an area near the brooder plate.)

For your specific setup, I would probably do this:

For the day the chicks arrive, have the heat lamp making a warm spot next to the brooder plate, with that warm spot being 95 to 100 degrees directly under the lamp.

Put the chicks in the brooder and watch them. If they huddle under the lamp and peep, just keep watching. When they are all warm enough, they will spread out a bit, and should start to eat and drink and then take naps.

After the chicks are thoroughly warm and settled in (probably between 4 and 24 hours after they arrive), I would raise the heat lamp so the area near the brooder plate is between about 60 and 80 degrees. This will leave the brooder plate as the main place for chicks who want it even warmer. You may need to tuck them under the brooder plate several times to teach them to use it.

By the time the chicks are a week or two old, you can probably raise the heat lamp even higher, and you can probably remove the heat lamp entirely by the time they are a month old (or maybe even earlier.) This is because the brooder plate that is not "warm enough" for newly-arrived chicks will be providing enough heat for partly-feathered chicks, so it does not need the help of the heat lamp anymore. The brooder plate will get removed later, when the chicks are more thoroughly feathered.

Thank you! They arrived on Tuesday and I preheated the lamp prior to picking them up at the post office. I made sure to keep it around 95 degrees next to the brooder plate. They didn't use the plate at all for the first day. I raised the lamp up a bit and then had a panic attack the next morning when I woke up and saw the brooder had gotten down to 85 (its been getting into the 50s outside at night) but they were happily wandering about the brooder. This morning it got down to 81 and they were still fine, but under the plate. No pasty butt which was a big change from my first flock. They also lived in the garage for the first month and it was HOT in there. Im wondering if that's what caused all the pasty butt issues we had with them. Im nervous about it, but I think overnight I will raise the lamp up higher so it keeps it hovering around 75-80 with the brooder plate available. Its a bit scary to go to bed not constantly monitoring the temp in there as it drops outside overnight.

I went ahead and shut the lamp off to try that for daytime. it's currently 77 outside and expected to get to 79. They have the brooder plate on if they need, and I'll monitor them. I am definitely taking @rosemarythyme 's advice about trying to acclimate them to cooler temps more so they are ready for the outside when the time comes, especially since its only going to get colder as they feather up and mature.

Are chicks smart enough to use that style of waterer? I would consider adding a shallow dish to the set up as well, just in case they don't figure it out. I have had good success using jar lids upside down, then each bird gets its beak dipped to learn what it's all about.
Wanted to come back an update!

They arrived Tuesday only one day old. I tapped each one against the water nipple with their beaks and they drank immediately. Within 30 seconds all 4 were gathered around drinking like pros. I use horizontal nipples when they get a little older but I prefer this style all around because it keeps the water completely clean.

Wanted to come back here to confirm what Im doing is ok. @rosemarythyme would love your input.

I turned off the heat lamp completely. It's 68 degrees outside right now and my thermometer says its 80 in the brooder without the lamp (its been off since this morning).My old brooder plate was acting funky so I ordered a new one (brinsea Ecoglow). That came this morning and I put it in the same spot as the old one and showed them what it was by putting them under. They haven't gone under at all as far as I can tell, but I did find them like this. They're quiet but im concerned they're cold. Everything says to watch for them huddled together. Am I being too paranoid? I think Id feel better if I saw them go under the plate on their own. They used the old one but haven't tried the new one yet.

IMG_2802.jpeg

I turned off the heat lamp completely. It's 68 degrees outside right now and my thermometer says its 80 in the brooder without the lamp (its been off since this morning).My old brooder plate was acting funky so I ordered a new one (brinsea Ecoglow). That came this morning and I put it in the same spot as the old one and showed them what it was by putting them under. They haven't gone under at all as far as I can tell, but I did find them like this. They're quiet but im concerned they're cold. Everything says to watch for them huddled together. Am I being too paranoid? I think Id feel better if I saw them go under the plate on their own. They used the old one but haven't tried the new one yet.
I assume you checked the new one is heating up properly? I'd keep checking on them throughout the day, though 80 is probably pretty comfy for the most part so at most they'd only want to go warm up and then come right back out.

If they're quiet they're good. They don't look very huddled either (where you'd see them all piled on top of one another where it just looks like 1 big blob of bird).

I assume you checked the new one is heating up properly? I'd keep checking on them throughout the day, though 80 is probably pretty comfy for the most part so at most they'd only want to go warm up and then come right back out.

If they're quiet they're good. They don't look very huddled either (where you'd see them all piled on top of one another where it just looks like 1 big blob of bird).
they're quiet and relaxed. I put them all under there again just now and they all went back to the spot they were in before. its warm to the touch and definitely slightly warmer than my old plate.

I guess I just need to trust they know what they're doing? It's getting down to 57 tonight but I doubt it will get that cool In the garage. The brooder plate says its to be used in environments 50 degrees and above.

they're quiet and relaxed. I put them all under there again just now and they all went back to the spot they were in before. its warm to the touch and definitely slightly warmer than my old plate.

I guess I just need to trust they know what they're doing? It's getting down to 57 tonight but I doubt it will get that cool In the garage. The brooder plate says its to be used in environments 50 degrees and above.
Yeah as long as they know where the heat is (and you've placed them under twice now) and the brooder isn't so huge that they'd get lost (yours isn't) then I trust them to decide for themselves where they're more comfortable. It's usually cooler when I brood and even then, with 2-3 day olds, they'll generally opt to spend more time away from the heat than under it.

Back
Top Bottom