Crossing blue to lavender cross

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I have a hen that is from a lavender Orpington rooster and buff Orpington hen. I don't have a picture of her right now, but I can get one later. What do you think I would get if I bred her to my blue Cochin bantam roo? Any ideas are super appreciated!! Also, ive hatched out a couple chicks from her and only about 20% have a lavender hue to their fluff.

I have a hen that is from a lavender Orpington rooster and buff Orpington hen.
I'm guessing your hen looks mostly black, with some leakage of silver or gold.

What do you think I would get if I bred her to my blue Cochin bantam roo?
Breeding her to a blue chicken will probably produce some blue chicks and some black chicks. They may have various amounts of leakage as they grow up. The leakage could be white, buff, gold, red, or some other shade.

Depending on what genes the blue rooster is carrying, you might also get some chicks with large amounts of gold or silver.

Also, ive hatched out a couple chicks from her and only about 20% have a lavender hue to their fluff.
Do you know the father of the chicks?

If you bred her to a lavender male, I might expect about 50% lavender chicks.

If you bred her to most other males, I would not expect to get any lavender chicks at all.

If you bred her to a male who carries lavender but doesn't show it, I would expect about 25% of the chicks to show lavender.

If she mated with multiple males, so different chicks have different fathers, almost any possible ratio of lavender to not-lavender chicks is possible.

I have a hen that is from a lavender Orpington rooster and buff Orpington hen. I don't have a picture of her right now, but I can get one later. What do you think I would get if I bred her to my blue Cochin bantam roo? Any ideas are super appreciated!! Also, ive hatched out a couple chicks from her and only about 20% have a lavender hue to their fluff.

Attachments

• IMG_20230404_181605283.jpg
    IMG_20230404_181605283.jpg
    1,004 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230404_181515744.jpg
    IMG_20230404_181515744.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230404_181514230.jpg
    IMG_20230404_181514230.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230404_181511501.jpg
    IMG_20230404_181511501.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
I'm guessing your hen looks mostly black, with some leakage of silver or gold.

Breeding her to a blue chicken will probably produce some blue chicks and some black chicks. They may have various amounts of leakage as they grow up. The leakage could be white, buff, gold, red, or some other shade.

Depending on what genes the blue rooster is carrying, you might also get some chicks with large amounts of gold or silver.

Do you know the father of the chicks?

If you bred her to a lavender male, I might expect about 50% lavender chicks.

If you bred her to most other males, I would not expect to get any lavender chicks at all.

If you bred her to a male who carries lavender but doesn't show it, I would expect about 25% of the chicks to show lavender.

If she mated with multiple males, so different chicks have different fathers, almost any possible ratio of lavender to not-lavender chicks is possible.
Sorry, I just posted the pictures of her. This is the rooster she is with currently.

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_153014923.jpg
    IMG_20230216_153014923.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 18
Sorry, I just posted the pictures of her.
OK, she definitely looks different than I expected-- much more gold, much less black.

For the original question, crossing her to a blue male should give some chicks with a lot of blue and some with a lot of black, but now I think they may have pretty large amounts of either gold or silver as well.

Since he is a bantam, the chicks have a chance of being small-ish when they grow up, although that does not always happen. When they first hatch, they should be the same size as any other chicks hatched from her eggs (because egg size determines chick size.)

Since he is a Cochin, I assume he has feathered feet. His chicks will probably have some feathers on their feet, but not as many as he has.

We know she carries the lavender gene (from her lavender father), but it doesn't show in her because it is recessive. If she is bred to a rooster that does not carry the lavender gene or show it, then she should not produce any lavender chicks. Half of the chicks will carry lavender, the other half not.

This is the rooster she is with currently.

With the current rooster, if she is producing any chicks that show lavender, then he must carry the lavender gene just like she does. That cross should produce about 25% lavender chicks, which is pretty close to the "about 20%" you said you were getting.

OK, she definitely looks different than I expected-- much more gold, much less black.

For the original question, crossing her to a blue male should give some chicks with a lot of blue and some with a lot of black, but now I think they may have pretty large amounts of either gold or silver as well.

Since he is a bantam, the chicks have a chance of being small-ish when they grow up, although that does not always happen. When they first hatch, they should be the same size as any other chicks hatched from her eggs (because egg size determines chick size.)

Since he is a Cochin, I assume he has feathered feet. His chicks will probably have some feathers on their feet, but not as many as he has.

We know she carries the lavender gene (from her lavender father), but it doesn't show in her because it is recessive. If she is bred to a rooster that does not carry the lavender gene or show it, then she should not produce any lavender chicks. Half of the chicks will carry lavender, the other half not.

With the current rooster, if she is producing any chicks that show lavender, then he must carry the lavender gene just like she does. That cross should produce about 25% lavender chicks, which is pretty close to the "about 20%" you said you were getting.
Thank you so very very much!!

Back
Top Bottom