Crow as a Chicken Predator?

i never new crows killed hawks?, but i dont have hawks so ive never had to do posts or anything, is the hawk not strong enough to kill a crow?

Quote:
They were smack dab in the middle of a 4 acre field.
hmm.png

I suppose she could have been mistaken for a juvenile hawk
hmm.png

Quote:
hmm.png

hmm.png

I can't imagine a Buff Laced polish looking anything like a hawk! I have one myself. Even being a standard size, they are still pretty small...

Wow.. Those are some mean crows!

Quote:
Not a murder of crows.

This was 2 crows and they were definitely bigger than her. And easily doing damage to my hen. I think as a group they would be able to deal with a hawk.

I'm leaning toward they though she was a juvenile hawk, especially since I've been looking at juvenile hawk pictures for those that are native to my area.

Quote:
hmm.png

hmm.png

I can't imagine a Buff Laced polish looking anything like a hawk! I have one myself. Even being a standard size, they are still pretty small...

Wow.. Those are some mean crows!

She's silver laced.

You know what though.... it makes sense. Crows are opportunists aren't they? I've seen so many crows circle low when my hens have been out free ranging. I always stand out with my hens since we have so many hawks and eagles out here... I'll not be looking at them the same way again... It's better to be safe than sorry!! Gosh, I couldn't imagine if I came out the door to see something like that!! Sorry it happened but thank you for sharing this, I hope we will all be a little more careful around crows...

Back
Top Bottom