crowing pullet?!

earthnut

Songster
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle, Cascadia
I sexed my chicks by looking at their wing feathers at a day old, and it seemed to match quite well with the instructions I followed. Today, at 2 weeks old, the pullet looked like she was trying to crow! She stretched her head up, opened her beak, and tilted her head back. She may have been gagging, because the down is falling off fast, but it was a peculiar way to do it! Has anyone had a silently crowing chick that grew into a hen?

I have an EE bantam that is no doubt a girl, and she does something like that. But i wonder if you are sure that thit breed can be feather sexed? I looked into the method after seeing it on TV and there are only certain breeds you can determine the sex by looking at the wing feathers. I dont know which, but that is what i learned. You should always post pictures with your post
roll.png

Feather sexing only works if the birds were bred for it. It does not work for all.

Jody

They're leghorns, and the video I followed was showing leghorns, most likely. They looked just like my chicks.

Unfortunately I didn't get pictures!!!
sad.png
wink.png
glad to know she could still be a she!

Hens definitely crow sometimes, I've seen one of our Lakenvelders and one of our Australorps crow several times. It's kind of funny, but I don't know why they can do it.

Back
Top Bottom