Crowned Cranes/Demoiselle cranes

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
So I have been reading up on them and I am thinking of purchasing some next year. Anyone have advice based on personal experience or know how? I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thank you

Hello! I personally have not kept crowned/demoiselle cranes, but I work for a breeder who does. They form extremely strong bonds with each other, and caution needs to be taken to prevent aggression. They need one pair per enclosure to prevent fighting and to encourage breeding, as they are very territorial. The enclosures need to be very large, I think probably 10x50 feet minimum. It is best if you can have a good amount of vegetation with a small water feature, but it is not necessary. They can eat a main diet of game bird feed, although supplements including greens, fruit, mealworms, etc. are a good idea. With the thought of territorial, they can also be very aggressive to humans. On a couple occasions, I was inside a crowned crane enclosure, and one jumped up and started kicking and pecking. They can actually draw blood. I am not the best opinion as I have never personally kept them, but from what I have seen that is about it. for basic info. They seem to be a great bird to keep if you have the right enclosure/diet to meet their needs. Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif

So I have been reading up on them and I am thinking of purchasing some next year. Anyone have advice based on personal experience or know how? I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thank you
Did you end up getting some cranes? I have Sandhill and East African. Also adding a pair of demoiselles this spring. They are coming all the way from Seattle Wa area!

Back
Top Bottom