Can I Get Pet Peacocks??

TesoroSena

Crowing
Jan 5, 2023
Tennessee
I am thinking i might want to get some peacocks, but i literally know nothing about them. If anyone knows about them, i have a couple questions, and any other advice would be helpful.
1. Can they eat chicken feed
2. Can they stay with my chickens and turkeys
3. Are they friendly enough for kids to care for

Thanks yall!

I am thinking i might want to get some peacocks, but i literally know nothing about them. If anyone knows about them, i have a couple questions, and any other advice would be helpful.
1. Can they eat chicken feed
2. Can they stay with my chickens and turkeys
3. Are they friendly enough for kids to care for

Thanks yall
1. 120% no
2. Nope
3. not any child under 12ish. They really don't like small children.

Oh... what kind of food can they eat? Under 12 thing will not be a problem, at least.

So, i started reading and the literature said i could keep them with turkeys, which is one of the reasons i wanted them. Why can't they be together? Is it parasites, or feed differences?
I just would like to know why, so that i don't hurt my birds.

Peacocks are *mean*. Way meaner than you think. And they can’t eat chicken feed. Also, do you mean peaCOCKS? Like, just the boys? Or peafowl?

Well, i might have gotten one peacock, but mostly peahens. Sorry about the pea_____ part, i didn't find out the difference until after i posted this.

I free range my 4 year old peacock and peahen together with chickens and turkeys, and also used to have guineas with them as well. I feed them All flock and also fresh scraps and high protein treats like dog food or mealworms . The peacock is at the top of the pecking order and he definitely shows the other birds his place. Ive never seen them get violent , but sometimes the peacock will chase a turkey or a guinea. no blood and no actual fighting though.

I also have a toddler that loves to try and pet the peacock and they are very friendly to him even during mating season. I would not let them be unattended together though, that could be bad.

My peafowl free range over 1.5 acres and don't normally fly away. They have escaped and wondered around the woods a few times and then generally come back at night to roost in the trees by their coop.

this is not how most people would raise their peafowl, but it was a goal of mine to make it happen and it's been working for the past few years. They are extremely loud in mating season though!

I free range my 4 year old peacock and peahen together with chickens and turkeys, and also used to have guineas with them as well. I feed them All flock and also fresh scraps and high protein treats like dog food or mealworms . The peacock is at the top of the pecking order and he definitely shows the other birds his place. Ive never seen them get violent , but sometimes the peacock will chase a turkey or a guinea. no blood and no actual fighting though.

I also have a toddler that loves to try and pet the peacock and they are very friendly to him even during mating season. I would not let them be unattended together though, that could be bad.

My peafowl free range over 1.5 acres and don't normally fly away. They have escaped and wondered around the woods a few times and then generally come back at night to roost in the trees by their coop.

this is not how most people would raise their peafowl, but it was a goal of mine to make it happen and it's been working for the past few years. They are extremely loud in mating season though!
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom