Crows are stealing my eggs!

montverdechick

Songster
13 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Central Florida
Last week, we kept finding one egg a day in the yard, broken open and partially eaten. Saw a crow flying out of the coop and figured that was the culprit. Today, all my eggs were stolen...including one wooden egg!

Anyone else have this issue and what did you do about it? Guess we will have to keep them closed up until we get home from work and then collect all the eggs they have laid so far. Uggh.... Maybe our pellet rifle will come in handy too!

a pellet gun will work just fine if you nail it in the head. I say go for it
thumbsup.gif

Besides the crows eating what they can, I wonder if there could there be a snake or rat? All the eggs gone without a trace, and especially a wooden egg gone sounds more like a snake or rat or such.

The crows may be eating your eggs but I bet the hawks are not eating your chickens.
wink.png
I almost did sommersaults (didn't work because I've gotten old and fat) when I saw the crows come back this year!

Crows are one of the most intelligent birds. They will even imitate language.

One thing they cannot due is carry more than their body weight. Eggs and chicks and ducklings and baby squirrels are all at risk when a crow is around. They also serve to alert quite well when not only hawks are around, but especially -- and even more so -- when bald eagles are scoping out the flock.

Can you close the door to your nesting area?

Scarecrow moved around will keep them at bay until they learn it isnt really a person.

I agree, crows help keep the hawks away, or atleast give them something to harass. But in all honesty, once a hawk targets your birds, crows wont even know teh hawk is hunting until a kill is made. It is a conundrum here, I shoot many crows to keep the numbers in check, but like the hawk chasing and cant stand the raiding they do on my gardens.....what a vicious cycle!

Crows..either you like them or you don't...
smile.png
They are smart, and wouldn't bother with your wooden egg, because they know its fake....as mentioned, i'd say a snake took your wooden egg.I like crows. they protect my hens from the redtails around here,i feed them food scrapes, so they know they are welcome. Most crows are leary of humans , people shoot at them, yell at them and throw stuff at them.They will steal eggs for sure and eat baby chicks if they can get them.I would never have baby chicks out where they could become victims.The crows have never gone into my hen house and stolen eggs.I have a laughing crow who hangs around, so cool to hear...Yep, either you like them or you don't...
smile.png

Quote:
I had a pet crow...raised it from just hatched. It spent a lot of its time flying low, getting the dog to chase it, then it'd run the dog into the fence. Over and over. Everyday. Yep, crows are smart and like to entertain themselves. The dog never figured out what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom