crumbles, pellets, rentacoop products, oh my!

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
My option is tractor supply for feed.
Pellets vs crumbles?
Cluck & Co a good brand?
Are the rentAcoop products (feeder and waterer) worth it? They do look aesthetically appealing, but how do I train the chickens to use them? I am looking at watering cups and the feeder with the holes in it.

Crumbled feed for chicks. Chicks can't eat pellets.
Links to the exact items you are thinking about buying?

How many chickens and what age are they?

Crumbled feed for chicks. Chicks can't eat pellets.
Links to the exact items you are thinking about buying?

How many chickens and what age are they?
Not born yet, won't have them till spring 2023. Yes I know crumbles for chick's. Mostly looking towards the adult stages. 6-12

I prefer Purina flock raiser crumble for their entire life. Oyster shell on the side free choice for adult layers. I would recommend that no matter what feed you choose, go ahead and pick your back up feed. If they are out of your preferred feed, it's better to know which one to buy than try to figure it out on the spot. As for the supplies, I would need to see them before commenting.

My option is tractor supply for feed.
Pellets vs crumbles?
Cluck & Co a good brand?
Are the rentAcoop products (feeder and waterer) worth it? They do look aesthetically appealing, but how do I train the chickens to use them? I am looking at watering cups and the feeder with the holes in it.
I like the water cups from rentAcoop to make a large waterer, no training needed. No buttons to peck to fill the waterer, it fills when empty.

I prefer pellets because they’re too big for small birds to eat, easily ground into chick feed with a blender or food processor. No experience with the feed you mentioned. I like flock raiser type feeds because they’re good for all life stages usually. Check the label though, some are not.

I use chick starter/grower crumbles for everyone, regardless of age then I never have to change, with oyster shell and grit on the side. I don't use the Rentacoop brands, just basic plastic and metal feeders and waterers here, they don't need fancy just functioning.

I also use starter/grower for my adults, it’s easier and don’t have to worry about switching foods when I have chicks since everyone eats the same thing. As for feeders and waterers I made my own with buckets. I use the horizontal nipples and made the no waste feeder with elbows for feed.

Thanks everyone, I thought about making my own feeders. If this were on private property and not part of a business where clients could see it I totally would. My boss is stressing it needs to look aesthetically pleasing if clients stop by to see it.

Back
Top Bottom