CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will CSU have a football team? I was pretty good in the defensive secondary when I was in college 45 years ago.
I'm in Fred.

lau.gif

Well, I played a few sports and lettered here and there, but these days? ............ nah.

..could you talk about the ticking on the hackle feathers as well...

I, too, would like to see some discussion on female hackle color and how it will affect the hackle color in the male progeny.
My copy of the SOP is the 2001 version ( I will be getting the newest one this year). The hackle "tipping" on the illustration seems to not match the description very well. I have "heavy" coloration some and some with very, very little.
Also, on the female discussion, the tail, both the profile vertical height, the rear width and feather color "Main Tail - black, edged in medium chestnut red; shaft, medium chestnut red". Is the edging a consistent width? Do all feathers need to have it?
I know my main focus is to breed to type first and worry about the color stuff later so any help with examples of great type are appreciated.

Calling all newcomers to Poultry and those just waiting to learn from our EXCELLENT teachers!! Look what I found for those of us that do not have the APA SOP. I found online copies of the American Standards of Perfection! These are very old and do not include the more modern breeds but at least it is a place to start learning and understanding what our teachers are telling us!

Please go to http://openlibrary.org/search?q=THE+AMERICAN+STANDARD+OF+PERFECTION+POULTRY where it shows a book and below says read you click on that and you can read the entire book. As I said it is VERY old from 1910 but I remember seeing someone comment that they thought the older SOP might be better. Well I think any SOP is better than none. Enjoy everyone!

Cindy

I personally wouldn't reference that for the standard, it has changed to much since then make it very reliable. It also doesn't contain a lot of the breeds that are accepted today, including New Hampshires.
Calling all newcomers to Poultry and those just waiting to learn from our EXCELLENT teachers!! Look what I found for those of us that do not have the APA SOP. I found online copies of the American Standards of Perfection! These are very old and do not include the more modern breeds but at least it is a place to start learning and understanding what our teachers are telling us!

Please go to http://openlibrary.org/search?q=THE+AMERICAN+STANDARD+OF+PERFECTION+POULTRY where it shows a book and below says read you click on that and you can read the entire book. As I said it is VERY old from 1910 but I remember seeing someone comment that they thought the older SOP might be better. Well I think any SOP is better than none. Enjoy everyone!

Cindy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom