CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wold have posted more pictures earlier, but my old computer crashed. This photo I had on the GNH thread. I'm not trying to scoot in late, but just responding to the previous post to ask a question. Would this be an example of striped?
That is striping but IMO there is way to much of it, just the tips of the lower one or two rows of feather should be marked. (She should look to have a necklace on)

Roodbruin_Halsveer_Hen.jpg

Chris

I agree with Chris, but don't take it as a criticism. I know where that pullet came from, lol.

This is common with these NHs. That is why the topic comes up a lot. It will take some work to consistantly produce females that is marked well in this area. We also have to watch for "yellow neck".

My experience with it from other NHs is that females with too much produce males with it. You also have to watch for black in the back etc. They are incomplete columbian so it is suppressed, but the tendencies are sill there. I am guessing that it is up to the breeder to keep it in check, and ideally allow it in the right place and quantity as in the females.

Maybe Walt can give us an example of what to look for on an open wing (the amount and placement of the black). That and correct anything that I say that is wrong. I am just trying to learn.

I agree with Chris, but don't take it as a criticism. I know where that pullet came from, lol.

This is common with these NHs. That is why the topic comes up a lot. It will take some work to consistantly produce females that is marked well in this area. We also have to watch for "yellow neck".

My experience with it from other NHs is that females with too much produce males with it. You also have to watch for black in the back etc. They are incomplete columbian so it is suppressed, but the tendencies are sill there. I am guessing that it is up to the breeder to keep it in check, and ideally allow it in the right place and quantity as in the females.

Maybe Walt can give us an example of what to look for on an open wing (the amount and placement of the black). That and correct anything that I say that is wrong. I am just trying to learn.

When you open the wing, the black should go all the way to the quill/shaft.....most don't. That is both the primary wing feathers, the secondary wing feathers and the axial feather.

I don't have a picture of it.

Walt

Okay, just got home for lunch and see the wing feather discussion. I went out, flock is free ranging and caught the only pullet I could. Not good pics holding chicken with one hand and snapping with the other....
"SOP-New Hampshire-Color Female- Primaries-upper web, medium red; lower web, medium red with a narrow stripe of black extending along the shaft; shaft medium red."
Should every primary feather have black?....clearly this pullet does not.
Is the "shape" of her primaries normal?....I will need to be looking more closely at all of them.
The black on the very tips...how big of a problem is this?
I have to get back to work now.......

Last edited:
There's a good picture of the wing black somewhere, I can't find it yet, where you(Walt) were showing Mrs. Kathy on one of her birds at your visit at her place. Anyway I have her looking for it for me or her to post up here. There's a decent one on the RIR thread too, just of a "Red" wing if that makes much diff. IDK?

Jeff

Last edited:
Smilier to this -

33115_picture00123_004.jpg
--

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Folks in the class note that the black is on a different side of the primaries than it is in the secondaries and there is a wing feather missing in this illustration. There should be 10 primaries an axial feather (missing in the illustration) and ten secondaries. If wings don't look tight like this when you open them, you may have a problem. It could be just a missing feather or something a lot more serious........split wing, a DQ. This is why you need to know how many feathers are in the wing. I even count wing feathers in art.......mostly waterfowl fine art. It will surprise you how many times the artists put in to many wing feathers.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom