CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
OK, now I am confused about what is "upper" web and what is "lower." I was originally thinking "upper web" would be the leading edge of the feather (the skinny webbing) and "lower web" would be the trailing edge of the feather (the wider webbing on a primary, for example). Now I'm thinking "upper" is the outside of the feather when the wing is held against the body, or the top of the wing side if the bird were in flight - and "lower" is the underside of the wing. Clarification would be appreciated. Does "lower" = "underside"?

Sarah

Quote:
OK, now I am confused about what is "upper" web and what is "lower." I was originally thinking "upper web" would be the leading edge of the feather (the skinny webbing) and "lower web" would be the trailing edge of the feather (the wider webbing on a primary, for example). Now I'm thinking "upper" is the outside of the feather when the wing is held against the body, or the top of the wing side if the bird were in flight - and "lower" is the underside of the wing. Clarification would be appreciated. Does "lower" = "underside"?

Sarah
Sarah, I, too, was confused by the terms "upper" and "lower" web and which was which. I went to my SOP and looked at the pictures of the Silver Penciled feathers and then went and looked at the written description of Silver Penciled to see which was which. The lower web is the more narrow one. When the wing is folded up against the body, the lower web is indeed lower. That is how I remember it.

Quote:
Thanks, that helps. Will try to reorient my reference points from the ornithology/birding perspective of "wing as functional flight apparatus" to the poultry perspective of "wings are those things that are usually folded against the body." This is why I need Chicken U
gig.gif

This is a good picture to show a "well spread tail" in a female. I have found that the NH's can have exaggerated tail spread. The tail feathers should be black with medium chestnut red edging as this bird seems to have. Online photo's seem to show these NH's to be browner than they really are. The German influence does seem prone to a brownish color though.

Look at this picture full size and you will see how much light changes the surface color of these New Hamps. Compare the color in the shade to that in the sun. The female on the far left looking at the photo has a pinched tail.

Walt

Last edited:
Walt,

What does the pinched tail indicate, other than being out of S.O.P.?

I have a hen with something between a bunny tail and a pinched tail...little bit of both. I wasn't planning on breeding her, but she's a reliable layer. If the pinched tail is strictly an issue of aesthetics, then I'll ignore it, but if there is a health concern to look for, I would like to be on the lookout.

This is a good picture to show a "well spread tail" in a female. I have found that the NH's can have exaggerated tail spread. The tail feathers should be black with medium chestnut red edging as this bird seems to have. Online photo's seem to show these NH's to be browner than they really are. The German influence does seem prone to a brownish color though.

Look at this picture full size and you will see how much light changes the surface color of these New Hamps. Compare the color in the shade to that in the sun. The female on the far left looking at the photo has a pinched tail.

Walt
The bird in the back of the first picture is a good example of a mild case of fowl pox, lol.

Walt,

What does the pinched tail indicate, other than being out of S.O.P.?

I have a hen with something between a bunny tail and a pinched tail...little bit of both. I wasn't planning on breeding her, but she's a reliable layer. If the pinched tail is strictly an issue of aesthetics, then I'll ignore it, but if there is a health concern to look for, I would like to be on the lookout.

Some people think it is just esthetics, but it is more than that. I lived on my uncles chicken farm for a year back in the 50's. He called chickens with pinched tails "unthrifty" and culled them. It is not just the feathers....they go where the structure/skin of the bird goes. The back end is to narrow for the bird.
To meet the APA Standards the bird can't be just a bag of feathers. There are a lot of chicken parts that need to be right to do well in a big show.

Walt

Last edited:

Maybe this would be better for a critique.

It is my understanding that there are supposed to be 5 different reds on a NH cock. I went over it once at a show with a judge, but once wasn't really enough. Recognizing that photos and lighting might interfere, does this male seem to have the correct distribution of red(s)?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom