CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. A few minutes ago I intoduced myself. Piet asked me to join this Forum to help you good people, because there are some problems with the interpretation of the Standard/SOP. I am a Welsumer breeder (for exhibition) for more than 20 years and I am also a judge (I have the competence to assess Welsumers) So maybe I can solve some problems. But I only know the description of the Welsumers in the Dutch.
Thank you for joining us, Marcel.

I haven't seen a clear picture of the chest and maybe this is not shafting, but it is not an even color either. Maybe this should be addressed in the SOP. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I know how many judges read the Standard. Some will mark it down if they see those lines in the center of the feather and since it does not say anything about it in the description, they will assume it should be all one color and even in color. If you read it is such and such a color you would not expect to see a different color or a different shade of the background color unless it was described.

I can't see it clearly yet, but it does seem to be on all the females. Sometimes these Standards are written with leeway in mind...not my way of doing it, but it is done a lot. If we detailed everything, the SOP would twice as many pages. I would love to see a breast feather from a good Wellie female.

Chestnut is used to describe several breeds and in reality they are different shades in those breeds. Chestnut was overused early on in the APA/ABA Standards.
It doesn't seem to much of a problem though. Salmon is not the same as chestnut however.

Walt

Piet - gorgeous birds as always. Do you have a chest shot of a hen for Walt?

Hello. A few minutes ago I intoduced myself. Piet asked me to join this Forum to help you good people, because there are some problems with the interpretation of the Standard/SOP. I am a Welsumer breeder (for exhibition) for more than 20 years and I am also a judge (I have the competence to assess Welsumers) So maybe I can solve some problems. But I only know the description of the Welsumers in the Dutch Standard/SOP.

Welcome! Glad to have you in this discussion.

We can and will stay with the Wellies for a few more days, if interest holds strong. We do not hold to any tight schedule here.

However. since this breed is a relative new comer to the American Standard, it is understandable that folks have differing points of view. Further, while referencing the Standards from other nations, please be advised that this thread is focused on the American Poultry Association's standard for all large fowl breeds studied.

We understand that student/teacher participants come and go at CSU, according to their interest in the breed be displayed.

There are acknowledged differing objectives and points of view, breeding, breeding for historical standards, showing, the APA SOP vs any european SOP, etc. That's all fine and well. BYC has no issue with grownups discussing these topics, even if they find they must agree to disagree. BYC takes no "sides" in these various, differing points of view. However, all BYC rules of engagement and participation apply.

Here are the BYC rules governing all threads and participation: Privacy/TOS

What nobody gets to do is be rude about their own point of view and fail to acknowledge groups of committed folks who hold to a different opinion. A little mutual respect just isn't too much to ask.

Now, back to class.

Last edited:

Robin, here are the photos you asked me to upload for you.

First: those are not dutch exhibition Welsumers. I know the breeder, Harrie Pelgrim, very well and this birds were for sale. But a man from a magazine passed by his house and took some pictures.
So this isn't the best quality we've got in the Netherlands. And by the way, one hen on this photo is a USA Welsumer.

Second: It is always difficult to tell something about the appearance of a bird from a photo. The wings of the cockerel are too low, but when you take a good look you see he is in action.

Third: Those photos are property of the Dutch Welsumerclub. I put copyright on the pictures to show everybody that they are ours. It is strange to see them passing by on this Forum.
I have put them on Facebook, but that doesn't mean you can use them without permission. I don't want to make a big point of it, but I would have said it. And I agree, they are usefull for the subject.

First: those are not dutch exhibition Welsumers. I know the breeder, Harrie Pelgrim, very well and this birds were for sale. But a man from a magazine passed by his house and took some pictures.
So this isn't the best quality we've got in the Netherlands. And by the way, one hen on this photo is a USA Welsumer.

Second: It is always difficult to tell something about the appearance of a bird from a photo. The wings of the cockerel are too low, but when you take a good look you see he is in action.

Third: Those photos are property of the Dutch Welsumerclub. I put copyright on the pictures to show everybody that they are ours. It is strange to see them passing by on this Forum.
I have put them on Facebook, but that doesn't mean you can use them without permission. I don't want to make a big point of it, but I would have said it. And I agree, they are usefull for the subject.
Sorry about that, Marcel. I assumed that since I was asked to repost them that permission had already been granted. I'll definitely be more careful about using someone else's photos in the future. (I usually get permission before using anyone's photos, just made a silly mistake this time.) Would you like me to remove them?

Sorry about that, Marcel. I assumed that since I was asked to repost them that permission had already been granted. I'll definitely be more careful about using someone else's photos in the future. (I usually get permission before using anyone's photos, just made a silly mistake this time.) Would you like me to remove them?

I reposted, and apparently mislabeled them.. so I'm guilty too - so sorry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom