Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I ship pullets and stags and also adults. no hatching eggs and no baby chicks. i ship cubalayas in may/june and asils in sept/oct. my prices are good and the buyer pays for box and shipping. I am hatching and collecting now for cubas. I have shipped to Colorado, texas, Michigan and other states. if anyone is interested in getting some cubalayas from me then please pm me or email me soon.

How about some dun Cubalaya? I will be breeding her to try and continue with the color. Not sure yet if I should breed her to a BBRed or a Silver, maybe both? She is 50% Sumatra and 50% Cubalaya. As you can see, she has some white in her earlobes.

This is her full brother.

Last edited:
How about some dun Cubalaya? I will be breeding her to try and continue with the color. Not sure yet if I should breed her to a BBRed or a Silver, maybe both? She is 50% Sumatra and 50% Cubalaya. As you can see, she has some white in her earlobes.

This is her full brother.
Troyer . . . that hen . . . the color is beautiful! I am very curious, how did you end up with that color? Was she just hatched that way unexpectedly, or did you cross the parents on purpose?

What do the parents look like?

Is her brother the rooster version of dun, or is he a different color?

Last edited:
The full brother rooster is a Black Red, he could potentially be carrying the dun color.
I did cross the parents on purpose, but I wasn't sure what to expect colorwise in the offspring. Here are the parent pictures
Sumatra sire...

Cubalaya mother...

The full brother rooster is a Black Red, he could potentially be carrying the dun color.
I did cross the parents on purpose, but I wasn't sure what to expect colorwise in the offspring. Here are the parent pictures
Sumatra sire...

Cubalaya mother...
I love looking at the different shades of brown and gray. What are the names for the parents' colors?

I love looking at the different shades of brown and gray. What are the names for the parents' colors?
The Sumatra rooster is a dark Platinum color and the Cubalaya hen is a Cinnamon Wheaten. "Cinnamon" simply implies darker than normal wheaten.

The Sumatra rooster is a dark Platinum color and the Cubalaya hen is a Cinnamon Wheaten. "Cinnamon" simply implies darker than normal wheaten.
Thank you! Never heard of Platinum chickens...now I have a new rabbit trail to play on. :p

I may have missed it somewhere earlier in the thread, but I am curious about the Sumatra/Cubalaya cross you're doing, and what your goals are for that. (If I may ask)

Thank you! Never heard of Platinum chickens...now I have a new rabbit trail to play on. :p

I may have missed it somewhere earlier in the thread, but I am curious about the Sumatra/Cubalaya cross you're doing, and what your goals are for that. (If I may ask)
My goals are for the color only. I liked the color of the sire so I wanted to make more of that color, but in the Cubalaya type and temperament. I got the Cubalaya temperament in the black red cockerel, but not the dun pullet. I will now breed the dun pullet back to a Cubalaya and get the Cuabalaya temperament in both genders by continuing to breed back to the Cubalaya side. The pullet is not quite like Sumatra in temperament, but leans more toward the Sumatra side.

My goals are for the color only. I liked the color of the sire so I wanted to make more of that color, but in the Cubalaya type and temperament. I got the Cubalaya temperament in the black red cockerel, but not the dun pullet. I will now breed the dun pullet back to a Cubalaya and get the Cuabalaya temperament in both genders by continuing to breed back to the Cubalaya side. The pullet is not quite like Sumatra in temperament, but leans more toward the Sumatra side.
What are the temperament differences in the Sumatras and Cubalayas?

A real Cubalaya will have a curious friendly temperament with little to no handling. A Sumatra will have a tendency to flightiness with the same amount of little to no handling.

Back
Top Bottom