Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

2 year old bantam project cock. He had no white in his tail as a yearling and now as a 2 year old he has a lot! I suppose for this very reason some of the longtime breeders will not breed from a cockerel if they can help it. I do have some offspring out of him from last season. I guess I'll have to see if it shows up in his offspring after the next molt. None of his cockerels from last year show any white in the tail, we'll see what happens when they molt.

I have my cubalaya chicks in a 4 wide by 8 long 3 high outdoor pen. There are 25, they are feather picking. Im feeding a feed that is high protein and includes animal protein. They are picking pretty bad. They are not under a light. Do any of you have issues with this.

I have my cubalaya chicks in a 4 wide by 8 long 3 high outdoor pen. There are 25, they are feather picking. Im feeding a feed that is high protein and includes animal protein. They are picking pretty bad. They are not under a light. Do any of you have issues with this.
In my experience when they feather picked they were too crowded. Too many chicks for the amount of space provided. I don't know where you live, but maybe you could give them access to grass or dirt whenever you are around to watch them.

I got them moved to a 10x12 pen on dirt. They quit picking long enough to check it out but started again. Im hoping the space and being on dirt will help give them something else to do. Any other ideas?

When you say "small" do you mean as in Cubalayas are smaller than "regular" large fowl? Or small as in a few weeks old??

If you put 25 adult birds in 32 sq ft of space, that is WAY WAY too little space. Then in 120 sq ft? That is "temporary housing" space for that many birds. You need more than twice the 10x20 for daytime activities. The night time roosting space can be smaller, like 50 sq ft. You need 25 linear feet of roost space.

since there are 25, is this a bunch of chicks? how old? when I take mine away from the infrared light too quick, they will feather pick. and mine are in a 12X16 greenhouse and usually less than 20 birds so plenty of room.

of course if chicks are hen raised this is never a problem

Last edited:
Small as in young birds a few weeks old. They seemed to be doing better today, i didnt see any fresh indication of picking. I understand space issues, 10x12 is temporary, ill probably use it for partial grow out. They will be free range most of time when big enough, with a 30x60 pen for the rare occasion they do are not let out in the main yard. The 30x60 is shut at night for protection. There is an 8 x 16 shed for roosting and laying, this is closed at night for additional predator protection Main yard is 6 acres fenced. 8x4 was the first step outside brooder. Ive got wyandotte's too and havent had any issues with them or any other breed like my fat chicken mutts. I figured you guys that were into the particular breed might have some insight into these since not every breed is the same and these are requiring a little more hands attention. These are ideal stock and some hatches off my pair. I probably jumped gun a little on getting them out of lamp. Were in East Texas, been 80 many days and cooler some others.

I wish some of my hens that usually brood for me were broody, definatly an easier way of raising babies. The wyandotte's usually brood for me and i have a white rock hen that raised 3 broods for me last year. My white rock and cubalaya hen have both threatened to go broody but have not committed.

Last edited:
hey guys, I may have a few cubalayas left in birchen and brown red. pm me if interested. these will be 6 to 8 week old youngsters that I can sex.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom