Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I agree with Cubalaya. Two years in a row I bought Ideal Hatchery's Cubalayas since I couldn't find any anywhere else. Those two years were a complete waste. The chicks were extremely delicate and the few that did make it were small and barely looked like Cubalayas. Some people may have luck with them, or their stock may have improved since I purchased, but if they are even half as bad as what I got, they aren't worth the time. All I did was waste two years waiting around for nothing. In the end, I drove halfway across the country and bought a starter flock, then built up from there.

I would have saved a lot of money by spending $40 per started chick from a breeder rather than $3 a chick from a hatchery.

Cuba, I have a question for you on your blacks (which I may have asked someone about before, but I can't remember completely). I spoke to someone who had some beautiful BB Reds and noticed that their roosters were getting white in the tails. She didn't think it had anything to do with the mottled gene and thought it was a protein issue. The idea being that the feathers grew so quickly that if the bird didn't have a protein boost, there would be missing patches of pigment. She found that by feeding bits of hamburger as a treat it reduced/removed the white during the next molt.

Have you, or any other breeder, noticed this?

It would be worth a try. My bb reds don't get the white in tails or wings. Still trying to get the red and white out of my black males. I don't think meat protein will solve that.

Out of 100 hatchery cubas pick the best 5 and cull the rest. Breed those 5 to a really quality inbred line of cubalayas. It will take a few years but you could end up with something that looks like a cubalaya. I have one ideal/Zook Wheaton hen that is 6 years old. She produced some good birds for me.

I've been pretty impressed by the longevity of this breed. Every year I expect my oldest flock to become retired broody hens and they still stubbornly crank out the eggs. They may not lay as much as a yearling, but I also didn't have to invest half a year into growing them up to laying age and they obviously have street smarts out in the fields and a solid immune system.

I have a 7 year old black Cuba hen that still lays decent. A 16 year old asil hen just hatched 4 chicks IMG_20190418_180717.jpg

When I first got into chickens I spent a long time believing that they were done by the age of two. So long, in fact, that I'm still pleasantly shocked at seeing and hearing about hens that go double, triple, and beyond their assumed years of production.

Edit: For any breeders out there, what breeds have you crossed into your Cubalaya lines? Or what breeds would you consider crossing in if you had the opportunity? I know there has been a lot of controversy about incorporating Sumatra blood; what about Yokohamas? Cornish? Malays and Asils seem to be the popular choice. I was wondering if anything else was being woven back into the breed.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I am in Alaska and have been raising hens for ten years. Last year I got a free rare rooster. He’s great, friendly etc but always wondering what he is. He is just about 10 mos old and has no spurs and a google search said that Cubalaya sometimes don’t? I was wondering if you could tell by seeing him.
BDDA4FC5-B321-4D8A-8997-17A56E246026.jpeg
BDDA4FC5-B321-4D8A-8997-17A56E246026.jpeg
8B2DFA86-F57A-4273-A307-9FD6BB094939.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom