Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

cubalaya- I would love to give you some birds sometime, but, I have killed all the excess pure stock for the year, and I need to keep what's left. I will have more in 2011, pm me sometime, I'd be more than willing to work out a trade or something. Honestly, I have trouble selling them, most of my friends have chickens, and it's always a very tough sell-smaller breed that grows slowly and lays small white eggs-just not that desirable for the average person. My birds are ok, some have great type, but all are too small. None are perfect, but I still like them, and, I'm just getting started really, this was the first year I was able to hatch enough to really cull down to any proper extent. The more I hatch, the more I can cull, so, hopefully, the next few years I can really make good progress.

Kaceyx73 I will answer as best I can..

To you guys with cubalayas, will they tolerate:
current pen area with their own coop?--- They will tolerate confinement fine, but, a regular fence won't keep them in, you have to clip both wings, to have any hope of them not flying away. I used to tractor mine, but, I got a place in the country, and now only confine them for breeding season.

the other two roosters? Dominance is ok, so long as they aren't in death duels.--- Ok, how to answer this one--They don't like other roosters one bit, but, usually, another rooster will back down before the Cubalayas. We have had a bunch of random chicken breeds, everything backs down to the Cubas, so the fights are not too bad. My cuba males are always the boss, they regularly thump boys 2 times their size. I can run a bunch of males together now, but, I try not to in spring, they seem to get meaner in spring. All roosters will fight to some extent, the thing is that real game roosters don't back down, or quit. Compared to a good American Gamefowl, the cubas are sissies, but, compared to a Barred rock, or a Marans, they are thugs!!

how might the hens do? RIRs aren't known for broodiness, but are decent parents. Will the cubalayas rear RIR eggs? --The hens are pretty nice little birds, but, they are also a bit tougher than your average hens, they will attack males they don't like the same way a cock would!! I have a Marans that tries to breed the Cuba hens sometimes, they kick his butt, and he is 3 times their size!! They are phenomenal broodies, they will hatch and raise larger chicken eggs no problem. They can even hatch bigger eggs, like ducks or geese, but you have to turn the eggs for them then. A hen can't tell her eggs from any other eggs, and they can't count, so, they will hatch pretty much whatever you want them to.

I want 3-5 more birds, geared more toward meat (at least in the second generation). A cock and a few fens of their own breed, in their own coop, sharing a community run is what I want. I am also concerned with having a breed that I can be hands off as much as possible, other than enjoying their company.-- they can be fairly hands off, not fast growing, or large birds, so don't expect tons of meat, quick. If you don't free range them, they will be fine, but ,I don't think it will be very sensible, as that, IMHO, is their niche. I have butchered A LOT of leghorns, bantams, doves, etc, over the years, so the cubas don't seem too bad to me as far as size goes.

From your post, it seems that for now keeping them penned isn't going to work unless I put a top on the run. With space I have, will they do ok for now?--They will do fine, no need for a top, just clip their wings. Sure, get some now, then, whenever you have the ability to let them roam, you have them. As for predators, we have goats, sheep, geese, guineas, and dogs, one a GP mix, so, losses from that are minimal. My main losses are if a bird flies over the fence, and roosts in a tree, without me noticing. then, owls take them. I lose a few bantams to hawks each year, but, otherwise, no problems.

I hate the thought of trying to wait for it to get bad before I get them, their not easy to find now... Of course, I have no intention of "cooping" up birds that hate being "cooped" up.--I am not sure they "hate" being cooped up, but, they shine free ranging.They don't smash into walls, feather pick, or anything when confined, so, they are not bad confined.

sounds good gallo. not in any real hurry. i have been getting my size up on mine. then i want to add in the multiple spurs. then i will worry about color. hopefully this will happen in 2011. been trying to get a couple pullets from doc but his hatch didn't turn out good this year.

Quote:
They breed does tolerate being penned, but as gallorojo pointed out they absolutely shine when allowed a large area to roam. I keep my brood stock in 8 X 8 x 6 pens, currently there's 3 hens, 1 pullet, and one cock. I believe I'm pushing the limit on the ratio of space to bird, for this particular breed. I will likely go back to just a quad in that pen and put the pullet in with another cock as soon as I get some new pens built. They also prefer high roosts; mine are up about 5 - 6 ft off the ground.

As gallorojo said, the cocks are fairly territorial and will exhibit their dominance over other males. The only death I had occur was when a young stag went head to head with a much larger RIR cock while I was not at home. The breed has a lot of pride and a lot of heart.

Cubalaya hens make good brood hens, they'll raise anything they are allowed to hatch themselves.

I've been involved with this breed going on 4 years now.

Good luck!

66074_dscn0703.jpg

66074_dscn0741.jpg

66074_100_6359.jpg

A few of our many cubalayas.

Cubakid, as always, beautiful birds. The beak on the top male is awesome!! How are your reds in terms of weight? I think you know where mine stand..
sad.png

Thanks for all the info guys.

Gallorojo, I just might be in touch towards spring. Before I can, I need to finish a few things on the current set up. More nesting space, a second coop, etc. That's just for what I have now. I still don't have eggs at 20 weeks, but the older mixed roo did get him some today. Its so funny as a newbie to watch that dominance play out. He mounted one right in front of the cockerel. Roo voiced his displeasure by flapping his wings until Vic finished and walked away. Of course as soon as Roo starts cozying up to a hen Vic steps between them to "chaperon." Considering Roo is in the process of making a pretty big rooster himself, its getting about time to give them a little more elbow room, especially in the coop.

This was the first breed my husband saw when I started back with chickens and said he wanted THAT rooster. He never got the chance, but I'd like to get one. I'm also going to try to get a Sumatra roo. I love everything I see in roos of both breeds. Gotta love those flashy tails.

I have 8 game hens. Don't ask what they are, I have no idea. I just can't seem to get all the different types in my head and although I can see some differences I can't keep them straight.

I lost my only Game roo last summer to a hawk. He took it on from the looks of things and it happened in the 2-3 minutes it took me to grab something to drink from the fridge and back out the door.

So no roo and 8 hens and I'd like some chicks from them. I'd really like to get a Cuba roo to breed to them. Does anyone have some pics of the crosses of some games to the Cuba I can see?

I'm not even sure what colors my girls are concidered but I do have 3 that look almost exactly like the wheaten hen here. Maybe I'm wrong though because they are bigger than my other game hens, but at least I know they're wheaten for sure now. LOL Sorry but I wasn't sure that was a Game color, or at least I thought it would be called something else.

@cubalaya,
We have BB Red, Blue Red, Golden Duckwing, Blue Golden Duckwing, and White.

@gallorojo,
Our BB Reds are getting closer, we hatched out lots of nice males but still lacking some weight. however, we do have many that are in the breeding pens now that are real close to standard weight... same on the duckwings and blue reds...

But our whites are massive... at seven months they were the male 5lbs and the female was about 3 lbs 13 oz. but they need color work not weight.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom