Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

One of my Cubalaya hens I hatched last year, I had culled down to one male, Which was very stupid, and lost my cock-bird! Jim Zook is helping me out with a new cockerel this year.
I agree with everything JAT told you. I really do like the looks of her. Here is what I find wrong: she appears to be in the 2-2.5 lb range which is around 2 lbs too light. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I bet I'm close on the weight. Also, she appears too 'fine boned' to my liking; I like a big boned girl. But that is just me.

Here is a little better tail photos... She doesnt take very good photos. Her size actually isnt too bad, No white rock, but she has nice size. I need to get a photo that shows her size better.

I'll be curious how those Welp chicks posted earlier develop. They looked like they had good carriage and very substantial bone structure.

I would be happy to own RC-Ryan's hen though. I love the wheaten hens. The one in my original trio lays close to a Large egg and is nearly as big as the cock bird.

Here is a little better tail photos... She doesnt take very good photos. Her size actually isnt too bad, No white rock, but she has nice size. I need to get a photo that shows her size better.
Ryan,

I saw when you posted her photo on facebook. Her color is lovely.

Lanae

Finally got thru the whole thread, but please don't test me on it! I am thinking that this may be a good breed for me. I have heritage BRs, Aussies and Delawares. I've been thinking I would like another breed that is a little flashier, but not game and not bantum. It sounds like maybe these almost qualify as duel purpose? That is if you can actually eat the eggs instead of hatching them all...Really enjoying the thread and the pics! That is a big part of encouraging new owners to try the breed Thanks for posting. .......stan
I'm glad you like the Cubalayas. I am curious though why you wouldn't want Games?

I'm glad you like the Cubalayas. I am curious though why you wouldn't want Games?
It might be a misconception on my part, but I am thinking that the Cubalayas have a more sociable nature, are better layers and will give me a better carcass. I don't want birds that are man aggressive, or that need to be isolated . I am thinking that I could have a small flock of Cubas kept together in good sized breeding pens ( maybe 3-4 hens with a cock ) where that may not be possible with games. Plus, of the game birds I have seen, I am just not interested in the banty type size. I understand that there are larger game birds, but they have a much more aggressive personalities?? Am I just missinformed, or am I close??....stan

Back
Top Bottom