Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

...From Wikipedia: "A landrace is a local variety of a domesticated animal or plant species which has developed largely by natural processes,[1] by adaptation to the natural and cultural environment in which it lives. It differs from a formal breed which has been selectively bred deliberately to conform to a particular formal, purebreed standard of traits."
I'm no expert, but the closest birds that I could think of that might meet this criteria are the birds roaming Fitzgerald, Georgia. Those birds have been at it for about ~30 years. Look into them if they are something you would want.

I was able to get a little more information from Strombergs:

Alex,
I contacted our Hatchery stock breeder which is Privett Hatchery.  He
basically gave me the same answer as Duane.  He said that he has had them
for a lot of years.  He didn't like them when he got them so he has bred
them to what he has currently.  He has been told they are one of the best
around.  They actually do very well at shows but are considered hatchery
stock.    He also said that they would be his strain too.  These old timers
are funny.  Yes all of our show quality chickens come from Duane Urch.  He
only ships birds February -May.  We will start taking orders for Duane's
birds in late December or early January.   

So Welp and Strombergs (non sq) are from Privett who apparently got his stock from Ideal years ago and bred them up.

Felix1 is right. I talked with Mr. Privet myself months ago and he told he got his original stock from Ideal. This was a huge let down for me as all my Ideal birds died of a genetic defect. I was hopeful that Privett acquired his birds from Ideal before the rise of this defect, but I have lost four of my Privett cockerels since June, two in the last week. They fell over dead for no reason. The best one of the bunch died a week ago. He was the one I had been posting pictures of. He was over 5 pounds and was absolutely beautiful with a really nice low shrimp tail. It broke my heart when I found him dead in the coop.

There is no doubt that Mr. Privett has done a lot to improve the type of his birds. Unfortunately, it appears that the same defect that is killing off Ideal's line is also present in his. I have over 200 birds of many different breeds all running together with Privett birds. Not one of them has fallen over dead this whole year. There has to be a genetic link to this sudden death syndrome that effects Ideal's line.

The best so far from my early hatch. About 8 months old and just over 5 pounds, but SOLID, well muscled WIDE bird. I'd like to see multiple spurs, but, well, nothings perfect is it?

Nice cockerel! Good breeding gallorojo.
thumbsup.gif
5 pounds at 8 months is a good weight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom