Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Jungle, What does her tail look like from the top. Flat, semi flat, or does it look widespread and rounded over the top?

That blue red is just a great looking bird. Her head is fantastic, exactly what I want to see on mine and haven't for a few years. My first hens had heads like that, getting back to that is a goal of mine. Tail spread is excellent, really, a super bird except tail should be lower. I've had plenty of pullets with tails just like that. In trying to eventually get away from that sort of tail, it's tricky because the male counterpart to a hen like that will have a below horizontal tail due to higher stance and heavier tail . I would basically consider a female like this a cockerel line breeder, she will make good males, but maybe not good daughters. I am aiming for females with the nice rounded downward curve to the tail, I think to get that, the males have to have an extremely low tail angle with a sharp drop off right away as seen in the OG book Schmudde picture of the classic cock with the tail like a waterfall- that's your pullet breeder there. It's much harder to get the females tails right because the male tail will be naturally lower when maturity is reached simply due to stance and sickle feathers pulling it down.

Last edited:
I will be culling females as hard as I cull males. I want to give as much attention to detail in the hens as I do to the roosters. I have proven to myself in these four years of breeding cubalaya that the female type has a tremendous influence on how the offspring turn out.

Here is what I believe to be a very light silver wheaten pullet, all her full sisters were either very light or very dark silver duckwings. The first two pictures are when she was three weeks younger.

Here are her parents.... I don't know which of the chicks she was....
But she is one of these.

the third pic looks like my 2 silver wheaton pullets. one has blue legs and one has white. i thought the blue legged one was a bantam but she is growing now. both have great tails as does the duckwing stag that i hope to breed them to next year.

That pullet I would agree is a very light silver wheaten. The question is why is she so light? I have some guesses but nothing quite fits. I have a somewhat similar pullet that is a silver ginger( silver plus dark brown Db) but typically Db shows in the parents, the father to your pullet definitely NOT a Db carrier, possibly the mother is but unsure there. If you cross the very light pullet to a BB Red, if she's got Db some of the males will not have black breasts, but golden breasts.

That blue red is just a great looking bird. Her head is fantastic, exactly what I want to see on mine and haven't for a few years. My first hens had heads like that, getting back to that is a goal of mine. Tail spread is excellent, really, a super bird except tail should be lower. I've had plenty of pullets with tails just like that. In trying to eventually get away from that sort of tail, it's tricky because the male counterpart to a hen like that will have a below horizontal tail due to higher stance and heavier tail . I would basically consider a female like this a cockerel line breeder, she will make good males, but maybe not good daughters. I am aiming for females with the nice rounded downward curve to the tail, I think to get that, the males have to have an extremely low tail angle with a sharp drop off right away as seen in the OG book Schmudde picture of the classic cock with the tail like a waterfall- that's your pullet breeder there. It's much harder to get the females tails right because the male tail will be naturally lower when maturity is reached simply due to stance and sickle feathers pulling it down.
in the bantams i have the females have very nice tails but the males tails are still too high the females are just right

I'll be 100% honest, I've never seen a bantam with a fully correctly expressed lobster tail. Although in fairness, not many large fowl have true lobster tails either. I consider all the bantams works in progress, they have come a long long way , especially recently, I've seen some good looking birds, but never a true lobster tail on a female bantam. Sorry to sound rude, I'm just being straight with you. If you have a correct tail on the females that's awesome and something to be very proud of. I've just not seen it myself.

Back
Top Bottom