Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

The Sandhill strain was created out of wheatens by selecting certain birds as breeders repeatedly over many generations. Not quite a sport, and not an outcross either, just breeding. Yes, I know this is theoretically impossible, but, if you work with orientals long enough, you will see impossible things happen that don't fit 100% the genetic texts. The books aren't wrong, they are just incomplete. Most of the writers didn't have Asils or Cubalayas to play around with...
wink.png

Now, the other brown reds around have been made other ways, basically, by crossing blacks and BB Reds, yes. All mine have been made that way.

Yes Foxes can't reach the chickens that roost high enough at night. They will pick off the setting hens, one by one ,as will opossum , raccoons, weasels ,coyotes, dogs and whatever. Daunting. So many dogs here that I have only had to deal with opossums once in a while. Oh sky Foxes as in Hawks , We have plenty but they have never hassled my birds. Odd situation, here, a Red Shoulder hangs out over the chickens during breeding season driving the Red Tails away. Not Protecting chickens I assure you, but I think defending his hunting grounds( rats etc. ). The crows decimate egg numbers on the free range hens in the spring.

Last edited:
No, I meant sky fox. They are just like those non-native Australian Spotted Ground doves that jump up out of the grass right at your feet when you are hunting Mourning Doves and you instinctively shoot it. And then you say, "Whew! Good thing it was an Australian Spotted Ground dove and not a Bob White Quail, because those are not in season right now."
wink.png

is that why the sandhill ones have white legs on the males show up? i finally have the dark legs but had to add black to them.

I would imagine so, yes. Since the brown reds are not standardized, honestly the legs could be any of these- black, slate, or white, all with white skin and soles. I prefer white myself, and select that way when possible. We breeders would have to agree upon a shank color, and brown red birds in the standard now have various leg colors. At this point, anything goes.

finally got some pics
a blue red wild type

the large hen

the large cock

a black project bird

she wouldnt stand right
if any of you would like to have some i also have some large fowl bbred that i would like to get rid of and some large fowl yokohama whites from very good stock.

Back
Top Bottom