Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I was once asked, 'Why do you raise Cubalayas? They aren't the best layers; don't put on the most meat; aren't game.'

My response then was and still is the same:

I believe Cubalayas to be the most beautiful chicken on the planet. I raise them simply for their beauty.

That is reason enough for me.

Well, after my first year of working with cubas, I would have to say this is the best bird all my efforts produced male or female. Not saying she is great, just the best of the bunch. Obviously a lot to improve on her if I were trying for sop, especially the head.

2 pounds is about what i always find except at an older age mine a that age are about 28oz he is still realy nice even with his cusion comb
i completely agree there is no breed i have seen to match the beauty of the cubalaya ( except maby an onagadori)
those birds are looking good

I was once asked, 'Why do you raise Cubalayas? They aren't the best layers; don't put on the most meat; aren't game.'

My response then was and still is the same:

I believe Cubalayas to be the most beautiful chicken on the planet. I raise them simply for their beauty.

That is reason enough for me.

they are the most beautiful chicken of all the breeds. they should still be productive and that is something that i am breeding for. they lay a good amount of eggs. if breeding to standard size they produce a good amount of gourmet chicken meat. almost all of them will go broody and raise chicks . they thrive on freerange. they are very tame.

My Cubas are now almost 8 weeks. I've had them on a 30 percent protein Game Bird starter. When they finish the bag what type of ration should I go with next? Thanks.

My Cubas are now almost 8 weeks. I've had them on a 30 percent protein Game Bird starter. When they finish the bag what type of ration should I go with next? Thanks.

you should have had them on medicated chick starter. you could use it now for a month or so and then feed the adult feed.

I had read on the Livestock Conservancy website a couple years ago that heritage breeds need higher protein and they recommend the game bird over chick starters which is why I've always fed it. What rations do you use and at what ages?

Back
Top Bottom